Friday, September 25, 2009

REVIEW: Thirst by Christopher Pike


Summary from Amazon.com- As to blood -- ah, blood, the whole subject fascinates me. I do like that as well, warm and dripping, when I am thirsty. And I am often thirsty....
Alisa has been in control of her urges for the five thousand years she has been a vampire. She feeds but does not kill, and she lives her life on the fringe to maintain her secret. But when her creator returns to hunt her, she must break her own rules in order to survive.
Her quest leads her to Ray. He is the only person who can help her; he also has every reason to fear her. Alisa must get closer to him to ensure her immortality. But as she begins to fall in love with Ray, suddenly there is more at stake than her own life....

My thoughts...This book is a re-binding of a series which originally came out in 1991 titled "The Last Vampire Series".  Sita, the heroine of this story, is a 5000 year old vampire living in modern times.  Her character was strong as she demonstrated traits that a being that old would have such as lonliness, loss and longing for true love.  The story line is ok, but it flashes back frequently and I found myself daydreaming or having to reread due to confusion.   Some of the writing felt choppy, for me, it made it difficult to read.  I didn't finish it.  That's not to say I won't, some day, but right now it didn't hold my attention long enough.  If I had to rate it, I would say 3/5.

For more information on Christopher Pike and his books visit the Christopher Pike fan club.

If you liked this book you may also like...
1. Thirst 2 by Christopher Pike
2. The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith
3. Dark Secrets 1 by Elizabeth Chandler

6 comments:

Juju from Tales of Whimsy said...

Great honest review. :)

Donna said...

Where did you read that it's been rewritten? God, I hope not. As far as I know this is just a re-binding of the original books so the publishers can cash in on the vampire craze. Blah. Which was why I would out and got the original bindings!

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

Nice honest review, I hope I like it I already bought it ;]

elnice said...

Donna, after further research you are right, this is just a rebinding. I was reading a summary for Black Blood rather than The Last Vampire. Thanks for the catch, I have corrected my summary.

Lauren said...

I didn't realise this was a rebinding of The Last Vampire. I did read the first one and a half (they were bound in the same volume) last year but have to say I pretty much shared your opinion. I didn't finish it either.

Leslie said...

hmm thanks for the honest review i prob won't read it then lol

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.