Sunday, September 20, 2009

REVIEW: Would-Be-Witch by Kimberly Frost

Summary from the Official Website of Kimberly Frost.   In the small town of Duvall, Texas, the only thing more troublesome than gossip—is magic.

The family magic seems to have skipped Tammy Jo Trask. All she gets in the way of the supernatural are a few untimely visits from the long dead, smart-mouthed family ghost, Edie. But when her locket, an heirloom that happens to hold Edie’s soul, is stolen in the midst of a town-wide crime spree, it’s time for Tammy to find her inner witch.
After a few experiences in dysfunctional magic, Tammy turns to the only one who can help; the very rich and highly magical, Bryn Lyons. He might have all the answers—and a 007-savoir faire to boot—but the locket isn’t the only legacy passed down in Tammy’s family. She also inherited a warning…to stay away from anyone named Lyons.

Click here to read an excerpt from chapter one.

My thoughts...The easiest way for me to descibe this book is a cross between the Stephanie Plum Series (Janet Evanovich) and Rachel Morgan from the Hollows Series (Kim Harrison).  Since these are two of my favorites, I LOVED this book!  Tammy Jo is an adorable, witty, seemingly normal heroine, who comes into her magic later than most in her absentee family.  I immediately fell for her chivalrous ex-husband, even though the bad boy wizard left a vivid impression.  

Although Would-Be-Witch did not end with a cliffhanger, there are some unanswered questions that should be addressed in the next installments.  The second book in the series, Barely Bewitched, hit the shelves on September 1.  According to her website,  there will be at least three books in the series.  I have already ordered the second one.   If you enjoy witch stories infused with romance, humor and charm, then I definitely recommend this book to you.

For more information on Kimberly Frost and her books visit her website.

If you liked this book you might also like:
1. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
2. One For The Money by Janet Evanovich
3. 50 Ways To Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom

8 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

love the cover! this sounds like a fun witchy one for the halloween season.

gapyeargirl123 said...

Well, Kim is one of my favourite authors, I love her writing, so anything compared to her books has to go on my wish list! I'll keep an eye open for it!

Shannon said...

I could use some humor maybe I will buy this one next.

Barbara said...

This was one time when I judged by the cover. I loved it and knew I had to read it and finally I got it from the library. I'll be reading it soon. Now I just have to hope the library gets the next one. Ironically I just finished rereading Dead Witch Walking the other day and I love 50 Ways To Hex Your Lover. That's such a fun series.

Elie N said...

This will fit right in. I actually haven't started the Linda Wisdom ones yet. I have read several reviews and they are supposed to be similiar.

Tynga said...

I just gave you an award!
Come and pick it up =)
http://tyngasreviews.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-awards.html

Lenore said...

The character of the cover reminds me of Jessica Rabbit ;)

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I havent heard of this books but it looks good.... and I agree with Lenore... the does look a bit like Jessica Rabbit!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.