Monday, October 26, 2009

Kidz Korner

With the holidays rapidly approaching, I thought I would start a post to feature  books for the special little ones in your life.  These will be reviewed by myself and my two sweeties (5 and 2).  Children's books can be expensive, so we will give you some ideas of books that are worth your money. 


Snappy little Halloween by  Dugald Steer, Derek Mathews (Illustrator), Derek Matthews (Illustrator)

In honor of Halloween, I though we would start with a Halloween Book.  We have several of these pop-up books in our bookshelves.  They are tons of fun.  The story is very simple and full of rhyming words, great for young children.  There is a lot of alliteration which helps emerging readers.  My son was able to read this with ease. 

This book is not scary, in fact it uses quite a bit of silly humor.  The vampire is not so scary when his pants are falling down.  The best part of the book are the pop-ups.  They are very colorful and exciting.  I was just as anxious as the kids to see what was on the next page. 

The only thing  I would caution you about is durability.  Like most pop-up books, the projecting pieces are easily torn or plucked off.  With the exception of a few pages, this one is pretty tough.  The pop-ups are made of a heavy paper and attached pretty securely.  I had to make a simple repair, but it is good as new. 

We recommend this book for your favorite little pumpkin. 


           

Justin's Two Cents (my son always has his say)...
My favorite part of the book is the cat jumping out of the pot.
 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.