Friday, October 2, 2009

REVIEW: MOON CALLED by Patricia Briggs


Summary from Patricia Briggs' website.  Moon Called is the beginning of the story of Mercedes Thompson a coyote shapeshifter who is also a pretty decent mechanic. Mercy's world looks a lot like ours except that the Otherworld is begining to be forced out of hiding by our modern technologies. Mercy shares her back fence with the local Alpha werewolf and works evenings on the vampire Stefan's VW bus. She's safe and content -- which doesn't make a very story, does it? So, of course, matters begin to change on the first page. In this book Mercy faces trolls and gremlins, old boyfriends and older vampires.

Click here to read a sample chapter.

My thoughts... I have been working my way through my TBR stack and found the first three books in this series.  These books came highly recommended and I have no idea why I waited so long to read them.  MOON CALLED is book one of the Mercy series.  Four books have been released so far, book 5, titled Silve Borne, will be released March, 2010.  According to Briggs, she is expecting at least 7 books in the series.  This is one to add to your list!

This book captured all of the good elements of a good urban fantasy.  The heroine, Mercy, is unique, intelligent  and very head-strong.  The book includes several paranormal creatures including werewolves, vampires, gremlins and witches.  The plot draws you in and keeps you reading until the very end.  Although this is not a YA novel, it probably could be.  There were suggestions of romance and a bit of sexual tension but overall it pretty clean.  Mercy does have a love interest or two and I am hoping they will be explored a bit more in the upcoming books.

One thing I found interesting was the cover.  Usually, we only see a headless body or a profile of the character.  Mercy is show on the cover displaying a bit of cleavage and some killer ink.  Her tatoos seem to progress with each cover.  I will be looking for new ink on upcoming covers.  I would rate this book 4.5/5. 

For more information on Patricia Briggs and her books, please visit her website.

If you liked this book, you may also like...
1. Stray by Rachel Vincent
2. Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
3. Greywalker by Kat Richardson

2 comments:

gapyeargirl123 said...

I love this series. The characters, the story, everything. And Adam *happy sigh*

Mara said...

Sounds good! Is it similar to the Twlight series? I started the first one and I'm surprisingly enjoying it!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.