Wednesday, October 14, 2009

REVIEW: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill


Summary from Chloe Neill's website.
They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was mine. I was doing fine until Chicago's vampires announced theirexistence to the world-and then a rogue vampire attacked me. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker... and this one decided the best way to save my life was to make me the walking undead.

Turns out my savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now I've traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four hundred year old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude-and servitude. Right...

But my burgeoning powers (all of a sudden, I'm surprisingly handy with some serious weaponry), an inconvenient sunlight allergy, and Ethan's attitude are the least of my concerns. Someone's still out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches?

My initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood...

Click here to read Chapter One. 

My thoughts...I have been having tremendous luck lately in finding great titles. This is one of them.  Chloe Neill makes a very strong start to what is sure to be a great series.  One of my favorite aspects of this book is the heroine, Merit.  She is smart, witty, determined and  tough.  She does not wilt under stress, scrutiny or lust (which is a tall order considering who she is us against).  This was an easy read, the writing flowed, allowing me to slip into her world.  There was some world building, but not so much that I was overwhelmed or confused. 

This story has its share of paranormal beings.  We meet vamps, shifters, witches and other creatures.  While, this is a vampire novel, it goes beyond that.  The house structure of Chicagoland adds a whole new level of interest.  My only indecision comes from Ethan, who is the head of Merit's new vampire house.   I am not sure if I love him or despise him.   Well, then there's  Morgan.  He's tall, dark, very handsome and from the wrong side of the fence.   If you want to know who I am rooting for, check my next IN MY MAILBOX post.   But, I am glad there will be more books, just in case I change my mind! 

For more information on Chloe Niell and her books, please visit her website.

If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:
1. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
2. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper
3. Dead End Dating by Kimberly Raye

3 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

O I like how you ended your review saying you're not sure if you love him or despise him. Nice touch! :)

gapyeargirl123 said...

I've seen so much about these books, I really want to get my hands on them, but I haven't seen Some Girls Bite in bookshops anywhere - I need to get this book!
Nice review.

The Couch Critic said...

It sounds like you really liked this book. The story line sounds interesting. I love when there are two potential love interests, keeps it interesting. I will be buying these. Great review Ellz.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.