Sunday, October 25, 2009

SpookTober at Ellz Readz (4)

In the spirit of Halloween, each Sunday I will do a new post on the things that go bump in the night. So this weeks SpookTober feature will be about WEREWOLVES!


Wikipedia says...A werewolf or werwolf, also known as a lycanthrope,  is a mythological or folkloric human with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or an anthropomorphic wolf-like creature, either purposely, by being bitten or scratched by another werewolf, or after being placed under a curse. This transformation is often associated with the appearance of the full moon, as popularly noted by the medieval chronicler Gervase of Tilbury, although it may have been recognized in earlier times among the ancient Greeks through the writings of Petronius.


Werewolves on TV...
Werewolves has been on TV for as far back as 1954 with a show called The Lone Wolf: The Werewolf Story.   From then on, the hairiness continued.  Here are some fun werewolf shows...

1. Little House on the Prairie: The Werewolf of Walnut Grove (1980)
2. Are You Afraid of the Dark?: The Tale of the Full Moon (1991)
3. The X Files: Shapes (1994)
4. CSI: Werewolves (2006)
5. Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf (1988)
(all TV show information cited from werewolfpage.com)


Hair in your popcorn Werewolves in Movies...

Here are some famous flicks staring Weres...
1. Howling, The (1981)     An emotionally-scarred news lady is sent to a colony for psychiatric help. But the occupants seem unusual, and what is that strange howling in the woods?
2. Hybrid (2007)     A blinded man is the subject of an experimental medical procedure through which he is transplated with the eyes of a wolf, a process which has some unexpected side effects ...
3. Skinwalkers (2007)     A twelve year old boy and his mother become caught in a battle between two packs of skinwalkers, who each have different plans for him.
4. Brothers Grimm, The (2005)     Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are conmen who pose as exorcists, but in one town they must face some real-life horrors, including a werewolf.
5. Underworld (2003)     Centuries of blood is spilt and ancient allegiances are severed in an epic battle between Vampires and Lycans ...
6. Teen Wolf (1985)     Michael J. Fox is transformed into a fuzzy werewolf in this well-known supernatural high school comedy.

If you are looking for more great Werewolf movies, check out Werewolf-Movies.com for a complete list.

Werewolf Books...
1. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (this is one of my favorites)
2.Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, Book 1) by Carrie Vaughn
3. Howling at the Moon (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, Book 1) by Karen MacInerney
4. Never Cry Werewolf by Heather Davis (click here to see my review)
5. Bad Blood (Crimson Moon, Book 1) by LA Banks

And to end my tribute to our moon howling friends, I present...
Instructions on HOW TO BECOME A WEREWOLF.  Always dreamed of becoming one of the pack?  Follow these simple instructions and you will be on your way!


Step 1- Sleep on the ground in an open field on a Friday night when the moon is full. Many Europeans who lived several centuries ago approved of this method.

Step 2- Drink water from a wolf's footprint. Two hundred years ago, Balkan natives thought this act would surely help you grow hair and fangs.

Step 3- Satisfy your thirst in certain magical bodies of water, although the whereabouts of these are unknown. If you find that discouraging, drink wherever wolf packs drink.

Step 4- Transform yourself by eating a wolf's brains. Just follow the easy instructions listed in the Wicked Witch's Cookbook (author unknown).

Step 5- Find a French priest and have him put a hex on you. Many incorrigibles were purportedly disciplined in this way in the centuries prior to the 1800s.

**DISCLAIMER**These directions are not guaranteed to work, try at your own risk!  Also, Ellz does not support violence to animals or other creatures.  So no eating wolf's brains.  Just sayin'.

I found this sage advice at e-how, a website who's motto is How To Do Just About Everything (they weren't kidding).  Go visit to learn how to do more stuff.   



That concludes my SpookTober posts for 2009.  Don't forget to enter the giveaway.  Find all the details here.  This is also another entry for Misty's Helluva Halloween Contest.  Did you enter yet?  Happy Halloween everyone! 

Would you rather be a Vampire missing one  fang or a Werewolf with a bare tush? 

22 comments:

Zia said...

Haha love the step on becoming a werewolf!

vvb32 reads said...

Professor Lupin from Harry Potter is a werewolf I've seen in film. Although I know of them, I haven't seen any werewolf specific films. Guess I'm more team vampire.

Mandy said...

Yes werewolves! I was wondering when you were going to do them, they are my favorites! which is why I would rather be a werewolf with a bare tush then a vampire with only one fang. =)

bratdownstairs@yahoo.com

Misty said...

Hmmm. If you are a werewolf with a bare tush, is that true even in your human form? Because I don't know that you'd care in wolf form. But I'm going to go with one-fanged vamp. It would be embarassing, and I'm sure you would be teased, but:
a) you can get a prosthetic (and cheap, in any halloween shop)
and b) when you bite people, you could just stick a straw in there and have a mess-free meal.

Misty said...

Also, I love that first tip on becoming a were.

fictionfanatic said...

Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen series is pretty good. Besides werewolves there are also vampires, shape-shifters, and all kinds of freaky hybrid creations.

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I'd be tempted to eat werewolf brains if I was assured of being Jacob Black's mate for life!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I love wolves!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

A vampire with one fang, definitely

I am already suffering in a similar fashion, one side of my mouth was injured long ago and now the nerves are screwed so I can't bite down on anything on one side of my mouth so I can so relate to a one fanged vampire.

LOL

It's do-able

I would rather be a vamp than a furry wolf with a bare butt

MissAttitude said...

ehow literally tells u how to do everything!
i would rather be a vampire missing one fang.
loved the steps on how to be a werewolf! thanks for stopping by RiC :)

Cherie J said...

A werewolf with a bare tush.

cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

Pam said...

I'd rather be a one-fanged vampire. I'm just thinking the open fields on a Friday night's full moon can be pretty cold for a bare tush...

+ follower

melacan at hotmail dot com

Book Whisperer said...

Vampire mission one tooth would not stop you from eating and you might be able to hide or teeth. Your tush is larger and you can not hide it.

jomullane at bluemarble dot net

Jenn said...

I have to say vampire - LOL I dont know if I could deal with all that fur! LOL

Jaz.trio@verizon.net

LOL I love your directions!

Milka said...

Vampire, I couldn't deal with the fur.

milkavainamo(at)lyseo(dot)edu(dot)ouka(dot)fi

I answered to all the questions and I am a follower! :)

Marie said...

I think I'd opt to be a one fanged vampire -- just because I think being a vampire would be more fun :-)

marielay@gmail.com

throuthehaze said...

I would rather be a vamp with one fang :)

Raelena
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

~The Book Pixie said...

Definitely the vamp with one fang. I'd call myself the Narwhal whale of vampires. Plus I'm not big on the whole idea of a bare tush. I tend to be fairly modest.

~Briana

Paradox said...

I'd rather be the vamp with one fang. I prefer vampires over werewolves. Fur vs. immortality = obvious answer.

paradoxrevealed (at) aim (dot) com

alterlisa said...

Vampire with one fang- the bare tush sounds too cool
alterlisa@yahoo.com

Alexa said...

A vampire with one fang, a bare tush is just embarrassing! lol

+1 follower

lovinfitch(at)aol(dot)com

Flamingo1325 said...

Definitely would go with the bare tush. It has the potential to be kind of cute, especially if the tail is still fuzzy...

flamingo1325@gmail.com

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.