Friday, November 13, 2009

FOLLOW-UP-Electronic Readers

I did a fair bit of research yesterday and I thought I would share some results.  First I want to say that I agree with most of you who said you could never give up real books.  I feel the same way.  There is something about a new book, the weight of it in your hands, the smell, the flutter of the pages as you flip through, I love it.  However, being a book reviewer has presented me with several opportunities to review books that were in PDF format.  An electronic reader would allow me to review more titles. 

So I narrowed my search between the Sony Touch and the new Nook. I will explore the Kindle on another day.  Here is what I discovered:



SonyTouch
  • Cost- around $300
  • 6" reading screen with touch screen
  • supports adobe, PDF, MS word, plays MP3 files
  • Books purchased from Sony Store or Google free domain titles
  • 512 mb on board memory
  • dictionary
  • actual size 6.9x4.8x4
  • includes slots for memory stick pro duo and sd card (up to 16gb)
  • Rotating screen (can read horizontally or vertically)
  • Different colors-red, black, silver
  • Comes with a stylus for hightlighting text, taking notes, and bookmark pages
  • Supports ebooks from public library
  • adjustable text size

The Nook by Barnes and Noble
  • Cost-around $250
  • 6 inch reading display
  • seperate 3.5 inch color touch screen
  • supports PDF, PDD, plays MP3 files
  • Books purchased from Barnes and Noble
  • 2G onboard memory
  • dictionary
  • Actuall size 7.7x4.9x.5
  • includes slots for memory cards
  • WI-FI
  • The ability to share books with other nook owners for up to 14 days
  • Has the ability to highlight text, takes notes, and bookmark pages (no stylus)
  • Replacable battery
  • adjustable text size


Follow this link to compare the Nook to the Kindle 2
Follow this link to win a new Kindle 2

The only other think is that I could not find out who manufactures the Nook.  Sony is a very reputable company.  My house is filled with Sony products (which is why my husband is pulling for the Sony).  The Nook is the first of its kind.  How many bugs are their going to be with this first model? 

The debate continues...

7 comments:

Cym Lowell said...

My wife just purchased the Kindle. Loves it. I am still not sure. Thanks for this article!

-CYM

GFDesignz said...

I have really been pondering over getting a reader as well but have no clue which one to get. I'm leaning towards a Kindle but still really undecided but I understand where your coming from about the reviews because I have had to turn down alot just because I cant sit and read on my computer for that long. My eyes run together after a bit. lol

vvb32 reads said...

i will always love paper. but with the electronic reader i would like to start enjoying ebooks. some good stuff is being offered in this format which i want to explore.

Hazel said...

I was actually thinking of getting one of these. I saw the Sony one in the Sony store and I actually think I'll get one some day. Its seems more convenient. Though I do like the new-book-smell when reading a new book. Ah!

Katie said...

I never thought I'd even be considering an e-reader, but after all the traveling I've started doing for work, I need to be able to bring several books in one.

Thanks for such an informative post as I keep looking for my perfect e-reader.

The Couch Critic said...

I am really checking out the Kindle 2's. So many people are giving those away.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

My main concern is which one handles pdf's the best.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.