(Summary from the Hatchette Website)
What is it about the number seven that has such a hold on us? Why are there seven deadly sins? Seven days of the week? Seven wonders of the world, seven colors of the spectrum, seven ages of man, and seven sister colleges? Why can we hold seven numbers or words in our working memory--but no more? Author Jackie Leo explores everything about this mystical, magical, useful, and fun number in her new book.
SEVEN REASONS YOU NEED THIS BOOK
1. SEVEN is a tool to improve the quality of your life. It is a way to define time, synthesize ideas, and keep your mind performing at top speed in an era of distractions.
2. SEVEN is culturally significant. It pops up everywhere, structuring our world in ways so fundamental, we notice them only when we pause to look. Across the ages and across cultures, the number has acquired a huge scientific, psychological, and religious significance.
3. SEVEN is intriguing. Why, out of hundreds of recipes in a cookbook, do people return to the same seven, over and over? Why, when asked to choose a number between one and ten, does such a large majority of people choose seven? Why does it take seven rounds of shuffling to obtain a fully mixed deck of cards?
4. SEVEN is influential. You'll learn how the number seven shapes our thinking, our choices, and even our relationships.
5. SEVEN is practical. Throughout this book are Top Seven lists covering the best ways to get someone's attention, to build your personal brand, and to put yourself in the path of prosperity and good luck.
6. SEVEN is fun. You'll encounter surprising facts, intriguing puzzles, and hilarious anecdotes.
7. SEVEN is wise. You'll hear stories about the meaning of seven from Mehmet Oz, Sally Quinn, Liz Smith, Christina Ricci, and many others.
Artfully designed and full of enough insights to keep you engaged in conversation at the water cooler for years, SEVEN will provoke, enlighten, and amuse.
My thoughts...I have always been intrigued by things that have more significance than what is shown on the surface. The pyramids, the dollar bill, artwork and other things often have deeper meanings or secrets waiting to be discovered. Seven describes how the number 7 falls into that category. The author provides numerous examples where 7 occurs and influences our daily lives. She goes further by telling us how to use 7 to improve our lives. I was a very interesting read.
Seven is filled with fascinating facts and examples of how frequently 7 occurs in our daily lives. Here are just a few examples: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Seven-Years War, 7 days of the week, 7-up pop, the list goes on and on. Now once you realize how 7 seems to rule your world, she provides 7 ways to improve your life in areas of happiness, love, learning, winning, and 3 more for a grand total of...yes 7.
This is a clever book. It was fun to read and if you are not a believer, you will be once you finish the story. I would recommend it for someone who enjoys a non-fiction book with a self-help flavor.
The book says to ask people to choose a number between 1-10 and the most popular number will be 7. Well I goofed and asked for 1-9, but here were the results:
#1 (2 people), #2 (2 people), #3 (6 people) #4 (3 people), #5 (3 people), #6 (2 people), #7 (5 people), #8 (5 people), #9 (2 people) TOTAL 30 responses
So cleary I am no scientist because I botched the starting variables, but 7 was a popular answer. Hmmmm, I wonder.
Click here to purchase a copy of 7.
I shared my review with Cym Lowell.
Here is your chance to win a copy of 7 The Number for Happiness, Love, and Success.
I am giving away five copies of 7. To enter:
You must be a follower and leave me a comment in the comment section.
For extra entries...
+2 Spread the word! (+2 entries for every place you link to-sidebar, post, twitter, facebook, wherever you go.) Please leave me a link for verification!
+1 Anyone who chose 7 in the question post, prior to now, will receive an extra entry in the giveaway ( I know who your are!)
This giveaway will end November 26th and the winners will be announced November 27th. This contest is open to residents of the US and Canada, no PO Boxes please. The winners will receive their prizes directly from the publisher. Good luck!