Friday, November 27, 2009

REVIEW: Fallen by Lauren Kate


There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.
(Summary from Amazon.com)

Click here to read the first chapter of Fallen. 
My thoughts...This is another one of those highly anticipated novels with an incredible cover.  I have been reading mixed reviews, so I started with a bit of apprehension.  There was no need, I really enjoyed reading this story. 

Let me start with the pros.   First, I love a story with a strong heroine and Fallen delivered.  Luce is a girl with a really hard history, she watched her date burn in front of her eyes, she is haunted by eerie shadows, and the court has ordered her to go to reform school for troubled kids.  The story starts her first day when she is introduced to some mysterious characters, Cam and Daniel.  She is drawn to Daniel, but he rejects her and Cam...Cam makes her feel safe and secure.  There are some other interesting people including her new BFF and of course, school would not be school without the mean girl.  I got a great sense of Luce and I could feel through her.  Daniel and Cam remained mysterious, but intriguing. 

I enjoyed the author's writing style, it kept a nice rhythm and it kept me guessing until the end.  This story was not jam packed with action scenes but there was a lot of world building and character building that left the door wide open for the next book Torment, due out in September 2010.  The overall theme, which I believe to be the struggle between good and evil was not new, but the presentation and twists the story provided were very original. 

The big cons for me were the questions that were left unanswered.  I really felt like I read half of the book because there were so many loose ends and so much yet to be told.  Parts in the middle seemed like filler that moved a bit slow, where I would have rather leaned more about the characters' pasts.  I could feel her attraction and her draw to the boys, but not her attachment to them.  I am hoping the next book addresses my questions. 

I will be reading the rest of the series.  If you enjoy a good love story, you will like Fallen.
For more information on Lauren Kate and her books, please visit her website in the US or the UK.

If you liked this book, you might enjoy:
1. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
2. Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl
3. Captivate by Carrie Jones

*Thank you to Random House UK for providing me this book for review. 

11 comments:

Dahlia said...

Great review! I really want to read this, it sounds really good. ^_^

pirate penguin said...

Nice review! I really want to read this too @_@

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

I keep seeing mixed reviews, glad you liked it - maybe it helped going in with lower expectations? I still want to read it though too ;)

Lee Smith said...

Good review, I'm still interested, but I find books that leave so much unfinished frustrating. Maybe I'll wait until the next one is out so I won't have so long to wait for more answers. lol

Andrea [Buried In Books] said...

I'm about to start reading this today. I too have seen mixed reviews, but hopefully I'll enjoy it :]

gapyeargirl123 said...

Definitely something I'll read sometime, but I don't think I'd pay full price for it at the moment.

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

I've been thinking of picking this one up to read. It has an interesting premises. Thanks for the review. :)

Becky said...

So this is the next book on my pile. Hopefully I'll be reading it in the next few days. I have strange expectations of this having read so many reviews both good and bad. Well I shall soon find out for myself. Thanks for your thoughts.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I love Savannah based stories. I need to read this sometime.

Alessandra said...

I've read many reviews by blogger that said they were "underwhelmed" by this book. One in particular mentioned how the protagonist is an "empty, weak" heroine, which worried me quite a bit. It's glad to hear that you thought differently.

Anonymous said...

it was a REALLY awesome book. i found nothing rong with it. i LOVE fallen. and i really want there to be movies :D and i cant wait until torment!!~~~~~~~

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.