Friday, November 20, 2009

REVIEW: Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris


Lightning-struck sleuth Harper Connelly and her stepbrother Tolliver take a break from looking for the dead to visit the two little girls they both think of as sisters. But, as always happens when they travel to Texas, memories of their horrible childhood resurface.

To make matters worse, Tolliver learns from his older brother that their father is out of jail and trying to reestablish contact with other family members. Tolliver wants no part of the man- but he may not have a choice in the matter.

Soon, family secrets ensnare them both, as Harper finally discovers what happened to her missing sister, Cameron, so many years before.

And what she finds out will change her world forever.
(Summary from Amazon.com)

Click here to read the first chapter of Grave Secret. 

My thoughts...Let me start by saying if you have not read any books in the series, you need to go back and read Grave Sight.  This series is different from the Sookie books.  I would describe it as a mystery with a hint of paranormal.  You may want to cover your eyes here, while I will not give away any Grave Secret spoilers, previous events may be disclosed. 

Grave Secret picks right up where Ice Cold Grave left off.  They start off on a usual job assignment that lands them in a graveyard.  Where as the other books mentioned it, this last installment really got deep into Harper and Toliver's past.  We learn the full extent of the abuse, neglect, and poverty they and their siblings lived through.  Harper and Tolliver's quest to find their missing sister Cameron continues and they find themselves where it all began, their hometown.  Charlaine Harris writes incredible strong characters.  Harper shows tremendous growth in this book.  She is much more dependent on herself, partially because Tolliver is unable to help her, and she changes for the better.  I was satisfied at the end of the story with the characters situations and their relationships with each other. 

The storyline in this book was OK.  Although I was not on the edge of my seat, I was intrigued enough to keep reading.  The ending came very quickly and left me shocked.  It took a twist I was not expecting.  The ending did feel a little abrupt and the current mystery wound up so conveniently.  But overall, it was a great read and I am satisfied with the way the series ended.  

For more information on Charlaine Harris and her books, please visit her website

If you liked this book, you may also enjoy...
1.  A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris
2. Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
3. Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris

3 comments:

SciFiGuy said...

I just finished this as well and am sorry to see the series end. I was really growing to like Harper and Tolliver.

miss cindy :) said...

I've wanted to read Harris' books for a while, but still haven't gotten to it.

I gave you an award here

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I love the Sookie series but haven't started these. I think I'd better!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.