Sunday, November 22, 2009

REVIEW: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.  (Summary from Barnes & Noble)

Click here to read an excerpt from the book. 
Click here to read OUTTAKES from the book.

My thoughts...Like everyone else, I fell in love with this cover.  The photographer, James Porto, did a brilliant job.  This cover is stunning and does an incredible job reflecting the story.  Now the big question is should we judge this book by its cover?  My answer is yes.   This was a great story and a solid start to a promising series.  I am not saying it wasn't without its imperfections and it did have a Twilight feel to it, but overall I really enjoyed Hush, Hush. 

Let me start with the pros.  First Patch,  Becca Fitzpatrick can did a great job writing this character.  Patch is the ultimate bad boy.  I flopped back and forth trying to decide if I liked him, if he was trustworthy, evil or good, but one thing I knew was that he was H-O-T!  The rest of the characters, including the heroine Nora, took a back seat.  They seemed to be average teens with average lives. 

I really enjoyed the storyline.  The history of the fallen angels was original to me, as I have not read too many books with fallen angels.  I feel the scenes were described well, I got a sense of where the story was taking place and the mood of the locations.  This was a very quick read, it flowed nicely and I had trouble putting it down. 

There were only a few cons.  One was the very poor judgment of Nora and Vee.  I think teenagers have more sense than what was demonstrated in the story.  For example, at one point Vee tries to justify her friend being slammed against a wall by a boy by saying he was drunk, he's frustrated, or he will feel sorry in the morning.  I was a bit alarmed by the message that this could send to young readers.  Also at one point Nora wanders off alone in a dark alley and gives away her possessions to a homeless woman.  Who wanders down a dark alley alone, especially when they are the victims of previous attacks.  I realize this is fiction, but these choices were unrealistic and they disrupted the flow of the story. 

The only other con was the connection between Patch and Nora.  I did not feel 100% about their connection.  I felt a strong sexual tension and desire, but his intentions were revealed so late in the story that I found myself struggling with their relationship.  I will say that the end was unpredictable, that was a good thing!  Overall, I really enjoyed the story and I will be reading Crescendo when it comes out in 2011. 

For more information about this book and it's sequel Crescendo please vitit Becca Fitzpatrick's website

If you liked Hush, Hush, you may also enjoy:
1. Fallen by  Lauren Kate
2. Intertwined by Gena Showalter
3. Blue Bloods by Melissa DeLa Cruz

CymLowell

10 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

Glad you liked it :) I do agree the cover is awesome...great review!

gapyeargirl123 said...

Sounds interesting. I'm hoping to read this soon, but I'm waiting either until it's in paperback, or until I see it on offer somewhere. Too short (& I'm too poor) to justify buying it in hardback at the moment.

pirate penguin said...

Great review! I personally loved Hush Hush and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel x)

The_Book_Queen said...

Good review-- I have to agree with much of what you said. Although I liked the book, and will no doubt read her future books, I didn't love it like I thought I would, based on the cover and summary alone.

And I liked how you pointed out the flaw in judgement for the characters-- I didn't meantion this in my review, but once again, I agreed with this statement. They both made decisions that were both stupid and unrealistic (unless they both happen to be complete bimbos-- no harm meant by the name, but come on, let's be honest!).

Enjoy,
TBQ

elnice said...

LOL,TBQ.

thanks for reading the review everyone.

Jazz said...

Very interesting review. This book is becoming mega popular, therefore I am skeptical about it. I'm glad to see a review that considers its flaws instead of just praising it and saying it is the-greatest-book-of-all-time-omg.

Katy said...

Interesting! I've seen mixed reviews on this book, but it sounds intriguing.

Crystal said...

Glad to see a positive review - the reviews have been really mixed on this one and I still have it on my tbr pile. The cover is absolutely amazing and now I want to read it.

Cym Lowell said...

Nice review. Your words flow nicely and I enjoyed "How" you wrote your review by listing the pros and cons.

Thanks for sharing-
CYM

Cym Lowell said...

PS. I like the new seasonal blog decor.

Happy Thanksgiving.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.