Monday, November 30, 2009

Review: Ruined by Paula Morris


Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her aunt. And at the snooty prep school, the filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda. Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of the city. There's just one catch: Lisette is a ghost.
A ghost with a deep, dark secret, and a serious score to settle.
As Rebecca learns more from her ghost friend -- and as she slowly learns to trust Anton Grey -- she also uncovers startling truths about her own history. Will Rebecca be able to right the wrongs of the past, or has everything been ruined beyond repair?  (Summary from Goodreads)

My thoughts...This book can best be described as flavorful.  The reader gets tastes of New Orleans history, Mardi Gras excitement, Haitian magic and an old-fashioned ghost story.  The main character Rebecca is thrown into post-Katrina New Orleans in a house with a view of the famous Lafayette Cemetery.  Curiosity gets the better of her and she finds herself face to face with a real ghost.  Her aunt believe in old magic and voo-doo.  She gives Rececca several warnings to stay out of the cemetery and out of the way of some of the local kids, but of course, they fall on deaf ears.  Rebecca finds herself in the middle of an 150 year old curse. 

Ruined was very well written.  The characters were interesting and like-able.  The plot was fast-moving and very interesting.  The history of Mardi Gras created a great background for the story.  I actually found it fascinating.  There must have been tons of research done to complete this novel.  There were several themes included in the story including racism. Many of scenes described old New Orleans, an area which is rich in history-good and bad.  The ending was a bit predictable, but there was quite a bit of foreshadowing in the form of visions that gave clues.  It was very well written and kept me turning pages until the end. 

As for cons, I really can't think of any.  It wasn't very scary, but I didn't open this book expecting to be frightened.  I would recommend this book to kids 12 and up as well as adults.  It was very enjoyable. 

Here is the trailer for Ruined:


If you enjoyed this book, you may also enjoy:
1. Prophecy Of The Sisters by Michelle Zink
2. The Hollow by Jessica Verday
3. Another Faust by Daniel and Dena Nayeri

CymLowell

14 comments:

brizmus said...

Ohhh, I love books that take place in Louisiana. I haven't heard this one described as flavorful before.
I can't believe you can't really think of any cons. that's awesome!

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I have seen this but have yet to pick it up, your review is awesome - it's made me want to move it to the to buy pile ASAP :)

ExtremeReader said...

I am patiently waiting on this book to arrive from BookMooch!! I can't wait to read it after your awesome review!

fredamans said...

Looks really good. Even the cover is awesome!

ladystorm said...

Great review, I haven't heard of this one but it sounds good so going to put it on my wishlist! :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review. I liked this book.

StephTheBookworm said...

I've had this one on my TBR list for awhile. I can't wait to read it.

~Jennifer~ said...

You have a kick ass blog!

Here is your award.

zel said...

I really really want to read this book! But I get scared wayy too easily =(

cymlowell said...

I love that you added the trailer video! What a cool video.

Thanks for all your support.

-CYM

Pricilla said...

Sounds like a good one: New Orleans, ghosts. I'm there!

JG said...

I enjoyed your review! This does sound good. I'm adding it to my ever-growing tbr.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I thought the kiss with Anton was really sweet. There has to be a sequel!!! Please write one! I will be the first one to pick it up

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I thought the kiss with Anton was really sweet. There has to be a sequel!!! Please write one! I will be the first one to pick it up

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.