I am pleased today to welcome Bree Despain who's debut novel The Dark Divine hits bookstores tomorrow.
1. Could you please start by telling us about your debut novel, The Dark Divine?
BD: The Dark Divine is a modern retelling of the parable of the prodigal son with a paranormal romance twist. It’s about a brother, a sister, their mysterious former best friend who returns to town after a three year disappearance—and the secrets he brings back with him.
2. A strong heroine makes a story worth reading. Could you describe your heroine, Grace Divine, in 5 words?
BD: Grace is: compassionate, strong-willed, loving, determined, and artistic.
3. Will The Dark Divine be a stand alone novel or will there be another book? Are you working on any other projects you would like to share with us?
BD: There will be at least one sequel. I am currently working on that now. The story may potentially lead to a third book.
4. You once wrote and directed plays for inner city children. Did this experience help you as a novelist?
BD: Absolutely. This experience is what made me realize that writing was what I wanted to do with my life. It also helped renew my passion for the young adult audience.
5. There has been so much buzz of the cover of The Dark Divine and the purple nail polish. Did you have any creative input regarding the cover?
BD: When my editor asked me if I had any “thoughts” for the cover, I sent him a two and a half page letter about what I wanted (and did not want). I was hoping for a cover that conveyed the tone and mood of the story more so than a literal depiction of the characters or an event from the book. I know the publisher worked very hard at coming up with this cover and I couldn’t be more pleased. Again, it is not a literal depiction of anything from the book. It is more an abstract interpretation of the mood of the book. However, the final version of the book has more to do with the cover than the ARC (i.e. the purple wrap and toenails have significance). Making custom Dark Divine nail polish was an idea that I came up with after seeing the cover—and I was ecstatic when my publisher jumped on it and helped make it happen.
6. Lastly, what is your favorite way to unwind after a hard day of writing? Any guilty pleasures?
Long, hot, bubble baths and lots ofd ark chocolate.
Bree, thank you for visiting with us today! Congratulations on your debut novel.
Click here to order The Dark Divine from Amazon.
To learn more about Bree and The Dark Divine, visit her website, follower her on twitter, or become a fan on facebook.
Bree has donated a bunch of swag for me to share with you. To enter, simply leave a comment below about the interview or The Dark Divine. I will select 4 lucky winners to receive some SWAG BABY! The giveaway will go until December 30th. Good luck!
"Daughter Of Blood" -- Meet the Characters!
3 hours ago