Friday, December 4, 2009

Interview: Lauren Kate

I have a wonderful surprise for you.  I requested an interview with the lovely Lauren Kate and she was kind enough to accept.  This wasn't on the schedule, but I couldn't wait!  Enjoy the interview. 


Please help me welcome Lauren Kate, the author of The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove (11/09) and Fallen (12/09).

1. Could you please tell us a little bit about Fallen?
LC:  Fallen is, at its heart, a love story about a fallen angel and the girl he's loved forever. But it's also a story about a good girl with a dark past who’s struggling to find a fresh start. And there's a bit in there about the whole battle of good vs. evil--angels and demons, heaven and hell, you know, every day kind of stuff. All the action takes place at a rickety old reform school in Georgia , which allowed me to have a lot of fun with a muggy southern gothic setting.

2. What inspired you to write this story?
LC:  I first got the idea for Fallen when I came across a line in Genesis, which tells about a group of angels who fell in love with mortal women. In the bible, these renegades are casts out of heaven, end of story. But for me, that was only the beginning. I started thinking about how a normal girl would respond to an angel having a crush on her. Imagine the baggage he must have! And what would her seriously overprotective father think? From there, a whole world unfurled in my mind—only it wasn’t just angels anymore. Demons, secret sects, reincarnations, and the End of Days were also all battling for a piece of the action.

3. Will there be a sequel to Fallen? Are you currently working on any projects you would like to share with us?
LC:  Yes! I feel as if I’ve only explored the tip of this story’s iceberg in Fallen. There will be four books in the series (including one prequel that I’m REALLY excited about). I’m working on the second book right now—which is called Torment—and am having so much fun writing about Luce’s next series of adventures.

4. People are really buzzing about FALLEN, even though it has not even been released yet. Did you expect this much excitement over the book? What has been the most exciting part so far?
LC: The buzz is insane! You know, I always felt like the one book-obsessed weirdo among my friends. One thing writing Fallen has shown me is what a great, receptive book-reading audience there is out there. It’s a wonderful feeling, and everyday I’m stunned and thrilled by some new interest someone has taken in the book. The most exciting part for me (so far) was getting to travel to six cites across the U.S. as part of a pre-publicity tour. I spent each day in a different high school talking to teens who had read advance copies of the book, and each night meeting with booksellers and librarians who were helping to promote it. It was so much fun to get to talk with so many fascinating people…especially when most of my days are spent having conversations with my computer!

5. Do you believe in supernatural beings such as Angels, ghosts, or even vampires?
LC: More and more each day. I was in Savannah , Georgia recently (where the book is set), and I had dinner with a group of people who talked about having ghosts in their house the way other people have friends over for dinner. They were so matter of fact in their belief and their storytelling that it kind of got to me. One woman had a ghost who threw telephones at people’s heads! The angels and demons that I write about in Fallen (and in Torment) are so real to me that I dream about them several times a week. I’ve yet to meet a vampire, but when I’m out and about in LA, I often keep an eye out for Edward Cullen.

6. I read that you "want to work in a restaurant kitchen, get a dog,and learn to surf". Would you describe yourself as a good cook or an aspiring one?
LC: I have a few culinary tricks up my sleeve, but I’m definitely still in the “aspiring” category. Cooking is one of the ways I unwind mentally after a day of writing. My idea of the perfect night is to cook dinner for a group of friends. I got my love of cooking and most of my methods from my dad, who has never opened a cookbook. This infuriates my mom because we can never recreate anything. It all just happens sort of magically by chance.

7. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors, young or old?
LC: For me, a big part of being a writer comes from having a strong sense of curiosity. I talk to strangers. I notice quirky physical traits in people on the street and file them away for later. That kind of thing. When I see or experience something interesting, my husband will look at my face sometimes and he’ll say: “That’s going in your book, isn’t it?”

Be curious. Make the whole world your muse. Keep it all in a journal until you’re bursting with the story. Then just sorta, I dunno, write it down. J I guess that’s my advice.

Thank your for sharing with us and congratulations on your new releases.

LC: Thank YOU!!

For more information on Lauren and her books please visit her website in the US or in the UK
To order Fallen or The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove, please click here
Lauren is on Twitter! Go here to follow her. 
Be sure to check out Lauren's facebook group called FIERCEBOOK.
I loved Fallen, here is my review.

8 comments:

RKCharron said...

Thank you for the excellent interview! I really enjoyed learning a bit more about Lauren & her writing. I'm glad to learn that there are more books in the Fallen universe coming.
All the best,
RKCharron

miss cindy :) said...

Great interview :)

Jo said...

Awesome interview! I love finding out more about Lauren with each interview I read! Cheers!

Julie said...

This book really does look spectacular and I've been itching to get my hands on an ARC. I might even contact one of the other girls at my blog about trying to get some.

booksploring said...

Just letting you know I’m passing on the One Lovely Blog award to you! Please visit my blog to pick up your award :-)

Martha Lawson said...

This sounds like such a great read!! I'd love to read it..

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

Chase92 said...

Great interview! I really enjoyed it!

SiNn said...

awesome interview! deff adding this to my want list

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.