Thursday, December 17, 2009

Kidz Korner (5)

This is a special post to help you share a special book with the little ones in your life. Some of these books would make great holiday gifts! They will be reviewed by myself and my two sweeties (5 and 2). Children's books can be expensive, so we will give you some ideas of books that are worth your money.


The Hat by, Jan Brett
Age Range 4-8

The Publishers Weekly #1 bestseller, Jan Brett's heartwarming story of Hedgie the hedgehog's misadventures has become a family favorite. Like its companion The Mitten, The Hat is now available as a wonderful board book to share with young children.




The Mitten A Ukranian Folktale by, Jan Brett
Age Range 4-8
 
Brett creates a dramatic picture book with the story of Nicki, a young boy who has lost a mitten in the snow and the animals who try to make a home of it. "The illustrations and the book design . . . are exquisite . . . a charming lap book to be poured over again and again."--School Library Journal. Full-color illustrations.
 
 

The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett
Age Range 4-8
 
A young boy and his mother bake a gingerbread baby that escapes from their oven and leads a crowd on a chase similar to the one in the familiar tale about a not-so-clever gingerbread man. Color illustrations throughout.
 
My thoughts...Jan Brett, in case you are not familiar is a brilliant children's author and illustrator.  The age ranges on all three of these books is 4-8, but younger childen will be engaged in this story as well because the illustrations are colorful and exciting.  My children enjoy these books and I used them quite frequently when I was teaching elementary school.  There are some strong themes woven into each delightful story.  A little bit of creativity could also lead you to some great enrichment activities to enhance each theme.  Jan Brett offers some supplemental activities on her website.  These would all make wonderful gifts and perfect additions to any child's library. 
 
Justin's Two Cents (my son always has his say)...I liked the Gingerbread Story the best, it is funny when everyone tries to catch him.
 
The story summaries are all from Barnes and Noble
For more information about Jan Brett and her books, please visit her website
 

6 comments:

Star Shadow said...

thanks for the heads up on Jan Brett's books, my 4 year old loves to read and have me read to him, so we will have to check those out.

WilowRaven said...

My little one (who is 3) has The Hat and The Mitten and she loves them :)
I'll have to find The Gingerbread Baby for her -thanks!

Emily said...

My class (preschoolers) is learning about gingerbread people right now, and they love the book Gingerbread Friends by Jan Brett. I'll have to pick up her other gingerbread books to share with them.

Misty said...

My little sister LOVED Jan Brett when she was a kid. I think her class even met her.

Alyssa said...

I LOVE The Mitten. I first read it in first grade and loved it then and still love it now. Didn't know there was another one though. Will definately have to check out The Hat

Aubrey (AKA Stacey) said...

My 2 year old daughter LOVES The Mitten. She loves finding the animals on the page and looking at the side pictures to see what's coming next. I will have to check out her other books too!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.