Monday, December 21, 2009

Melting Pot Monday (7)


Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters expands the original text of the beloved Jane Austen novel with all-new scenes of giant lobsters, rampaging octopi, two-headed sea serpents, and other biological monstrosities. As our story opens, the Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon. Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels? This masterful portrait of Regency England blends Jane Austen’s biting social commentary with ultraviolent depictions of sea monsters biting. It’s survival of the fittest—and only the swiftest swimmers will find true love!   (summary from Amazon.com)

You can check out the book trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZVE5uF24Q

For more information this book and it's authors, visit this site or the Quirk Classics site. 



I am not one for parodies, in literature or film., but I know some of you are. Has anyone read this yet?

5 comments:

fredamans said...

Ironically, I am reading this right now!

Arya said...

I haven't, and honestly, I probably won't. The cover of Pride and Predjudice and Zombies creeped me out! haha. and then the vampires... Poor Jane, I wish these people would give her masterpieces a break!

=)

Happy Holidays!

Alyssa said...

I actually did read this one, yes. Sadly, I didn't like it. I did like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies so I guess I expected it to be like that, more of a "revised text". Instead, this one pretty much just took the idea and took it a whole new direction, which was fine except for the attempt was kind of clumsy. You could totally tell which were additions and which were not.

And the other thing that bothered me was the fact that I found 18 printing mistakes in a copy of the book that I got from a bookstore. I can understand that from an ARC, but I think an actual finished book should be a little more put together.

Pricilla said...

I read it and laughed all the way through. I thought it was hysterical. I really did enjoy it. I did not read the first one...

Elie said...

Alyssa, that is surprising that there were that many errors in the completed text. I can see one or two slipping by but 18 is a lot.

Pricilla, I knew there would be some fans.

Arya, The cover creeped me out too.

Freda, I wil be watching for your review.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.