Thursday, December 31, 2009

Review: Firespell by Chloe Neill


(WARNING-This summary may contain spoilers)
As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia’s boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she’ll have to face...

When Lily’s guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St. Sophia’s. Lily’s ultra-rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she’s hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night and won’t tell Lily where she’s been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout running from a real monster.
 
Scout’s a member of a splinter group of rebel teens with unique magical talents, who’ve sworn to protect the city against demons, vampires, and Reapers, magic users who’ve been corrupted by their power. And when Lily finds herself in the line of firespell, Scout tells her the truth about her secret life, even though Lily has no powers of her own—at least none that she’s discovered yet…
(Summary from the website of Chloe Neill)

Click here to read Chapter 1 of Firespell, A Novel Of The Dark Elite.

My thoughts...This YA debut novel turned out to be an adventurous dive into the paranormal mind of Chloe Neill.  The main character,  Lily finds herself thrust into a life of private school girls, prep school boys and unusual extracurricular activities.  My favorite character was Scout, the snarky, devoted and kick-butt roommate who immediately befriended Lily.   There is a budding romance, plenty of magic and tons of enemies to keep Lily and her new friend looking over their shoulders.  I enjoyed the setting which took place in Chicago.  Although I have never been there, much less in tunnels below the city, I got a good sense of what the characters were seeing and experiencing.  There were a bunch of unanswered questions that leave the door wide open for more books in the series.  I am very curious where the plot will go next. 

The cons...Between the blurb on the back of the book and the title, the story became predictable.  While I enjoyed the story, I would have enjoyed a bit more mystery in regards to the plot.  Also, while I do understand that these girls are from rich, exclusive families, I became bored with the materialism.  There were several chapters that seemed to be fillers, the action really kicked off towards the end of the story.  I do think it was a good start to the series, which I will continue to read. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to readers who enjoy a good paranormal YA title. 

For more information on Chloe Neill and her books, visit her website.

If you liked Firespell, you might also enjoy...
1. Some Girls Bite by, Chloe Neill
2. Glass Houses by, Rachel Caine
3. Marked by, PC and Kristen Cast

3 comments:

Dannie said...

I enjoyed it as well!

Becky said...

I really want to read this and what a great recommendation Marked and Glass Houses. I enjoyed them both. Thanks for the review.

Jenn-ay said...

I do like the cover of this book and the title. I've seen this around on other blogs and I would love to read it. Hmmm yet another book to add to the ever growing wish list ; )

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.