Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Interview: Michele Bardsley


I am excited to welcome Michele Bardsley to Ellz Readz.  Michele is the author of the wonderfully funny Broken Heart Series.  This adult series is sure to make you laugh. 

1. For any new readers, could you tell us a bit about your Broken Heart, Oklahoma series?

MB: Broken Heart is a small town in Oklahoma that was taken over by the Consortium, which is a paranormal think tank trying to create ways to eventually bridge the gap between parakind and mankind. So far, though, parakind remains secret--those creatures found in human myths and legends. The town is populated with vampires, werewolves, fairies, dragons, ghosts, zombies, witches, and yeah, even a human or two.

Most of my heroines are Turn-bloods--or new vampires. Eleven single parents in Broken Heart were killed by a ravaging beast--and the Consortium saved them all by turning them into vampires. Now they have to learn how to be undead all while raising their mortal children on a night schedules. Even though my vamps have the typical characteristics ... strength, speed, agility, simply glamour ... there are actually seven (well, eight) vampire Families with specific powers. What powers you get depend on your Family.


2. The novels could stand alone, but you do a wonderful job of tying them together. Who will we meet in the latest book, Come Hell Or High Water and what are they in for?
MB: In Come Hell or High Water, we meet Phoebe Allen, who is a vampire from the Family Durga line, which means she controls demon powers and actual demons. She finds herself mated to a half-demon, half-Scottish fairy named Duncan Ballard. He says he tricked her into sleeping with him (Yeah, sure, Pheebs, how hard was it to resist a hot Scotsman with eyes like butterscotch candy?) to protect her from his stepmother, an uber demon named Lilith. Readers will find out answers to several questions, such as the origin of the Taint, which is a disease that only affects vampires, that there's an eighth vampire Family once thought extinct, and also, the first two chapters are pretty much all sex. You're welcome.

3. How many books do you anticipate in the Broken Heart series?
MB: Right now, there are seven. Cross Your Heart comes out in September 2010. It looks like there will be at least another two books in the series. As long as readers keeping buying the books, I'll probably get to keep writing them.

4. Michele, you are published in several genres including contemporary, erotica, and paranormal. Is it hard to change gears between each genre?
MB: I have to admit that writing in the "real" world can be a little more challenging since you can't rely on magic or paranormal ability to get you out of (or even into) a mess. The erotica market has certainly allowed regular romance to write more realistic love scenes. I've found I don't have to couch the act in careful phrases anymore, and that's nice. There are things I've written for the erotica market that will never make into one of my paranormal romances. :-)

5. For you, what is the most challenging aspect of writing?
MB: Deadlines. Hate them. But I can't be left to my own devices, either. I have access to an Xbox 360 and Rock Band. I can't be trusted. I'm mostly a panic writer. The closer the deadline, the more I write. I wish I was one of those plotters and planners churning out daily word counts, but after writing nine books for NAL, I realize my process is my process.

6. Are you working on any other projects you would like to share with us?
MB: I'm working up a new series idea that I hope will come to fruition, but I don't have a lot information about it right now. Other than that, like every other paranormal author in the world (or so it seems LOL), I have an young adult idea I'm playing around with. Mostly, I'm working up new ideas for the Broken Heart books. I hope I have good news for readers very soon.

7. What do you enjoy reading? Any specific genres?
MB: I love all kinds of genres. I read a lot of paranormal, of course, including Dakota Cassidy, Charlaine Harris, Richelle Mead, Mark Henry, Jackie Kessler, Caitlin Kittredge ... this list could get really, really long. I also love British mysteries, especially the Richard Jury series. I love vampire PI Felix Gomez in Mario Acevedo's mystery series. Also a big fan of MaryJanice Davidson, Jeff Strand, and I have all the Harry Potter books in hardcover.


8. If you could travel back in time, where would you end up and what would you be holding?
MB: Back in time? Oh, hell no. I love technology. I want to go forward in time holding my laptop, of course. LOL. I want to see the inside of Emperor Chin's tomb. Supposed to be fifty years before they get to the center of the funerary complex. Dust a little faster, people. I want to see what people are driving and using in the future. Technology and science have so many wonderful possibilities. I want to see the fruition of those ideas.

9. Lastly, what is your favorite way to unwind after a long day of writing? Any guilty pleasures?
MB: I play Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Just the drums. If I have to, I'll sing (which you so don't want me to do) or play bass. Right now, I'm playing Lego Rock Band, and Beatles Rock Band. Other than that, I read or watch movies.

Thanks so much, Elie. I enjoyed talking to you, and I appreciate you taking the time to interview me. If readers want to check out more about me, go to http://www.michelebardsley.com/. For all things Broken Heart, check out http://www.brokenheart.com/.

Thank Michele and congratulations on your new release. 

Click here to read my review of Come Hell or High Water. 

11 comments:

YA Vampire Books said...

Interesting interview! Sounds like a series worth checking out! :)

Book Snob said...

Great interview! I'll have to check out this series now. It sounds really interesting.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Fab interview darling! Great questions!

Star Shadow said...

Just wanted to let you know there is an award waiting for you at http://star-shadowcreativeconcepts.blogspot.com/2010/01/inspired-ink.html

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

This sounds like such a fun series!

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
Thank you for the great interview with Michele Bardsley & thank you to Michele for sharing. Congratulations Michele on your Release Day!
Will you come back to Twitter?
You've been missed a lot!
Here's to a superb 2010!
RKCharron

Becky said...

What an interesting interview! It is fascinating to hear the different ways writers' write. Thanks for sharing and loved your questions.

lindalou said...

Picking up my copy this weekend... Wouldn't miss it...
Thanks, Michelle...
Linda

Sherrie said...

I've been following this series since the 1st and can tell you that the books are awesome..can't tell you how much fun reading them is... just do it you have a blast.

Anonymous said...

It's so easy to choose high quality [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/]replica watches[/url] online: [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/mens-swiss-watches-rolex/]Rolex replica[/url], [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/mens-swiss-watches-breitling/]Breitling replica[/url], Chanel replica or any other watch from the widest variety of models and brands.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ssupload.com]Watch Movies Online[/url]
You must consider so numerous issues whenever you are visiting an on the web movie site. Initial of all, the new released flicks are obtainable in net in few days that suggests the word wide web internet sites aren't potentially legal rights to provide a no cost motion pictures online.So, it is really a better idea to [url=http://www.ssupload.com]Watch Movies Online[/url] do not what that videos. Most from the on the web movie web internet sites are offering library of streaming flicks, that are legally permitted to stream.Watching these flicks from these world-wide-web web-sites is dependable and secure.The subsequent thing you need to take into account will be the high quality in the image [url=http://www.ssupload.com]Watch Movies Online[/url] .The high quality with the picture with [url=http://www.ssupload.com]Watch Movies Online[/url] these streaming motion pictures can be a crystal clear good quality.The principal benefit with these streaming videos is these movies are readily available at totally free of price.And some from the folks are really a lot thinking about viewing old motion pictures that they are unable to discover them [url=http://www.ssupload.com]Watch Movies Online[/url] in the local shop, and they are able to easily watch them via on the internet. Most in the men and women round the entire world are still thinking that these sites are illegal world-wide-web web-sites.There’s a properly recognized instance you will discover a great deal of of the new sites which may be available in the web to Observe Totally free Motion pictures On the web that are existing to conduct some sort of survey which may well be amongst the actual time workings with the current era individuals of various ranges in regards towards the overview from the movie followers in all the attainable ways.
[url=http://www.ssupload.com]Watch Movies Online[/url]

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.