Monday, January 11, 2010

Melting-Pot-Monday Review: The Mayo Clinic Diet





The Mayo Clinic Diet book and Journal
By the weight-loss experts at Mayo Clinic

(Summary from Goodbooks) From Mayo Clinic,  a leading authority on health and nutrition, comes The Mayo Clinic Diet, the last diet you’ll ever need.

Here’s the diet that helps you accomplish real and lasting weight-loss. This diet is no fad, but a solid, common-sense approach brought to you by an organization that is an award-winning health information resource.

And the essential companion to The Mayo Clinic Diet...
The Mayo Clinic Diet Journal

The Mayo Clinic Diet Journal includes:
*The Lose It! Quick-start section that helps you keep track as you add 5 habits, break 5 habits, and adopt 5 bonus habits.
*The Live It! Section of the Journal makes losing weight easier as you use this section to follow the Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid, record your activity each day, and keep track of your goals.

Follow this link to read several exerpts from the book.

My thoughts...I am going to do this backwards and start with the cons.  Actually I should say con, because I see only one problem with the book and that is the title.  The Mayo Clinic Diet.  I believe the word DIET carries a negative connotation that leaves a bad taste (no pun intended) in your mouth.  Also, after reviewing this, I don't believe this is a DIET plan, I believe it to be a smarter way to live your life and manage your health.  This is not a rule book saying you have to eat cottage cheese 3 times a day or that you can never eat birthday cake again, it is a guide to establishing and maintaining a healthy weight.  Keep reading. 

The pros...This book is created by the brains at the Mayo Clinic.  For those of you who are not familiar with "The Mayo Clinic, is a very large group of physicians and scientists who work together to care for patients.  They treat more than 500,000 patients a year.  They, if anyone, are the ones to take health advise from, which is why I decided to review this book. 

Their plan is laid out in several steps: 
1. add 5 healthy habits such as eat a healthy breakfast, eat fruits and veggies, eat whole grains, healthy fats and exercise.  Common sense, right? 
2. Break 5 habits such as no unhealthy sugars or snacks, moderate meats and eating out.  Makes sense. 
3. Adapt 5 bonus habits such as journaling, exercise, making better food choices. 

It is all very simple and very achievable.  So does it work?  Well that is up to you.  As the book recommends, you should take a quick quiz to be sure you are ready to make these simple changes in your life.  If you cannot commit, it won't work and I don't need to be a doctor to tell you that. 

The book also offers  some recipes, such as the one found here,  and some more health information for understanding your body.  It is very thorough.   It was accompanied by a really nice journal to keep track of your eating and exercising habits.  The only thing I found the journal lacked was a specific column for tracking your fluids.  Other than that it is very nice and very easy to use.


I had to laugh because one recommendation said  "NO TV while eating and only as much TV time as you spend exercising."  I don't watch much TV, but if I changed TV to BLOGGING in that sentence, I would probably look like a swimsuit model by Summer. 

Overall I thought this book provided a great plan to optimize your health and maintain a healthy lifestyle. 

*I do not believe in DIETING, but I do believe in making healthy choices and promoting a healthy lifestyle including exercise.  I know I have a bunch of younger readers and I know the pressures teenagers and women face daily.  If you start making healthy choices when you are young, it will be a lot easier to make healthy choices when you get older. 

For more information about The Mayo Clinic Diet, visit the official website

*Special thanks to Anna at FSB Associates for providing this book for review. 

15 comments:

Aye.Me? said...

It's strange that they would include the word Diet in the cover if it isn't really a diet plan. There are soooo many books with diet in the title you would think it would be better to advertise it as NOT being a diet book to separate it from the crowd. Also, I'm sure the 'd' word scares a lot of people away anyway!

Elie said...

Well, the fact that it isn't a diet plan is more my opinion. When I think of a diet, a very strict regimine comes to mind. This is more about making different choices and habits. But like you said, the word diet scares a lot of people off, I think they should have called it something else.

Amy said...

I really like the adopting good habits before they get to the cutting bad ones! I know someone at work who lost 100 pound stepping during her favorite TV shows, too, so it works!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review. Thank you.

Kathy Martin said...

Since the original Mayo Clinic is just 12 miles down the road, I suppose I should take note. Any diet plan will work if you commit to it. Commitment is the key! This one does sound like it pays particular attention to behavioral choices and not just food choices. Good review! I'll have to look for the book.

Anna Katherine said...

Good Review--I followed your comment from Amazon to here!

I just want to add something about the addition of "diet" in the title. I believe it was added to make a new name for Mayo Clinic concerning "diets". There is another Mayo Clinic Diet (found here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-mayo-clinic-diet) that is not endorsed by Mayo, which involves eating a ridiculous amount of grapefruit. I think Mayo wanted to find a plan they could endorse, so as to dispel their connection to the former diet.

Elie said...

Anna, thank you for the link.

Anonymous said...

I was searching on ebay for a good book to help me with my diet. In the end I googled it and found this site http://www.hungryforweightloss.com.

They are giving away a free ebook called "365 tips for healthy living". I didn't expect it to be any good because it's free but it's actually brilliant so I thought i'd share it here :)

Anonymous said...

Digital Memory sure is becoming cheaper these days. I wonder when we will finally reach the rate of $0.01 to 1 GB.

I eagerly await the day when I will finally be able to afford a 20 terabyte harddrive, lol. But for now I guess I will be content with having a 16 gigabyte Micro SD in my R4i.

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cid-2602f0e287041cef.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2602F0E287041CEF!106.entry]R4i[/url] rrPost)

Anonymous said...

6 out of 10 People in the US, Canada and Europe are Over weight, so losign weight has become the most important goal for many around the globe. If someone is a lazy slob who wants a 'magic pill' to give him a fabulous bpdy, that will always remain as a dream.
One should be willing and determined to in efforts over a period of time and only then they can get lasting results. I find a few programs quite interesting and effective, you can also check some programs here and rate them based on your experience. Find the programs here [url=http://www.weightlosskarma.com]WeightLossKarma.Com, lose weight easily[/url]
- by Melinda

Anonymous said...

6 out of 10 People in the US, Canada and Europe are Over weight, so losign weight has become the most important goal for many around the globe. If someone is a lazy slob who wants a 'magic pill' to give him a fabulous bpdy, that will always remain as a dream.
One should be willing and determined to in efforts over a period of time and only then they can get lasting results. I find a few programs quite interesting and effective, you can also check some programs here and rate them based on your experience. Find the programs here [url=http://www.weightlosskarma.com]WeightLossKarma.Com, lose weight easily[/url]
- by Melinda

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Earning online isn't a tough task, at the same time it's not easy as well. There are several strategies to earn cash on-line, you'll be able to create completely different business structures. You'll be able to take affiliate selling, where you'll be able to select a product, software or a service and promote it and in come you'll get a commission out for selling. The great advantage of affiliate marketing is, you don’t would like to speak to people and sell the merchandise, everything will be done on-line, at the identical time, you wish some skills, to try and do it. You would like to form channels for selling like websites, newsletters, landing page creation and PPC advertisements.

You can conjointly produce a VRE, (Virtual Real Estate) where in you create websites, develop and monetize it using numerous suggests that like CPM or CPC ads, creating and selling your own product. You'll develop niche sites and setup ecommerce stores.

There are more strategies furthermore, but for beginners, and people who are new to on-line business the most effective way to create a consistent revenue stream is through actions like filling up surveys, get paid to do straightforward actions like signing up with new sites and obtaining paid to scan emails. The extent two for beginners is mystery searching and related income streams. You'll be able to get all the free resources to form a career at [url=http://earn-online-money.com/tools-and-techniques/home-business-blueprint-1-0-earn-online-moneys-free-new-launch/]Earn-Online-Money.Com[/url]

Anonymous said...

Ah, This is awesome! Puts to bed
several contradictions I've seen

Anonymous said...

Where here against authority

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.