Friday, January 15, 2010

Review: The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox


For Lizzie Brown, that’s just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. Just when she thinks she’s seen it all, Lizzie learns she’s a demon slayer – and all hell is after her.

Of course, that’s not the only thing after her. Dimitri Kallinikos, a devastatingly handsome shape-shifting griffin needs Lizzie to slay a demon of his own. But how do you talk a girl you’ve never met into going straight to the underworld? Lie. And if that doesn’t work, how dangerous could a little seduction be…? (Summary from Angie Fox's site)

Click here to read the first chapter

My thoughts...Whooo Baby.  I bought these books a while back and since I am hosting the Bottom's Up challenge, I decided they were a great place to start.  Plus, Angie is coming to do an interview in February to celebrate the release of the third book in the series.  So, I don't know why I waited so long to read this, I loved it!

So let me start with the characters.  The Biker Witch gang, which is led by her long-lost Grandmother, made me laugh through the whole entire book!  They are a wild, crazy, and very spirited group of Harley riding, rhinestone wearing, spell slingin', old people.  They make these roadkill magic spells, which they store in mason jars, to do strange things like giving people the giggles and freezing underwear.  What a bunch!  Next we have Dimitri-YUM! He of course, is the tall, dark, and furry hero who sweeps the heroine off her feet.  Yes, I did say furry, he is a griffin. The leaves me with Lizzy and her talking dog Pirate.  I adored Lizzy immediately because I can identify with her so well.  She was a preschool teacher who tried very hard not to swear and live an organized, planned life.  As you guess from the title of this book, plans change.  Angie Fox did a brilliant job with the characters in this book.  They are all very memorable, even the secondary ones, and very likable.

Of all the paranormal creatures, to me, Demons are the scariest.  So while this book was funny and action packed, parts of it were dark and scary.  The story line takes you all over the country on the back of a Harley and straight to the underworld.  The plot was fast paced and exciting.  It kept me guessing about the integrity of the characters and the choices Lizzy made in each situation.  The story wrapped up nicely, but it left a nice lead into the next book, The Dangerous Guide for Demon Slayers.  I would recommend this book for anyone who loves paranormal stories for adults. 

The cons...I can't think of anything negative about the book.  I am really looking forward to the rest of the series, I guess the con is that beyond book 3, I will have to wait. 


Cover LOVE?  I like the covers in this series.  The backgrounds have bold colors, the girl on the front looks sweet, but the sword says she means business.   Oh, and Pirate the dog looks so cute!

The Accidental Demon Slayer series reading order:
1. The Accidental Demon Slayer (2008)
2. The Dangerous Book For Demon Slayers (2009)
3. A Tale of Two Demon Slayers (January 26, 2010)

For more information about Angie and her books, visit her site or her blog

If you enjoyed this book, you may also like:
1. The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox
2. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
3. Accidentally Demonic by Dakota Cassidy

9 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Any book with a talking dog grabs my attention :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

If it wasn't for the demons I would totally read this. Demons scare me too ;)

Jennifer G. said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Demons scare the absolute crap out of me! People who know think I'm weird. I might just give this one a try though. You made it sound great!

misskallie2000 said...

LOL.. Loved your review. Talking dog, harley riding grandmother, this is too funny. I have to read this book.
Thanks for the review and laughs.

Becky said...

I am loving the sound of this book. Unlike Juju demons don't scare me. I'm more afraid of people who lurks in alleys than demons LOL

Kathy Martin said...

OK, now I have another book I want to add to my TBR pile. Can I count it for the Bottoms Up Challenge because it is on the bottom of your pile? Just kidding, I'm sure there are wonders at the bottom of my TBR mountain too.

Zombie Girrrl said...

You had me at, "Biker witch Grandma... hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic." Sounds like Granny Weatherwax from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. She's a hoot!

samantha.1020 said...

This sounds like a fun beginning to a new series and one that I have to check out. Thanks for sharing a great review!

inthehammockblog said...

Great review! I have this one on my shelf, can't wait to read it!!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.