Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Review: Boys That Bite by Mari Mancusi


My mom is so going to kill me if she finds out I'm turning into a vampire...

Okay, so technically she can't because I'm immortal. Well, not yet. See, due to the worst case of mistaken identity with my dark-side-loving twin sister at a Goth hangout called Club Fang, Magnus, a vampire hottie, went for my innocent neck instead of hers. Now, if I don't reverse it in time, Magnus will be my blood mate forever and I'm doomed to be a blood-gulping, pasty, daylight-hating vampire. Believe me, it seriously bites!

After the unfortunate slaying of the vampire leader, it's up to me, my sister, and Magnus to find the one thing that can solve my problem--the Holy Grail. No joke. I seriously hope I can get out of this on time because, somehow, I scored the hottest prom date in my school, the mouth-watering Jake Wilder. And I do NOT want to be a vampire for the prom--let alone the rest of eternity.  (Summary from marimancusi.com)

Click here to read an exerpt

My thoughts...I am a sucker for YA vampire novels and this one was no exception.  This book's original story plot contained a case of mistaken identity. As the story progressed with the characters searching for a cure to the vampirism virus, I found myself drawn into the story until the end.  It did not end the way I expected either.  The book traveled to several locations and I felt Mari did a great job of describing the settings.  Some of the scenes were witty and I enjoyed the banter between the main characters. 

Sunny and Rayne are identical twins, so their bond is closer than regular sisters might be.  They did not argue as much as I expected, especially given the situation.  I really liked Sunny and I hope we learn more about Rayne as the series progresses, she sounds very interesting.  As for Magnus, he grew on me.  Initially I did not like him or his character.  I expected the girls to be irrational and immature, but he was supposed to be knight from ancient times.  His character showed change as the book progressed, which led me to believe he was putting up a front to protect himself.  The book ended with a surprising ending and a twist which makes me want to jump right into the second book Stake That. 

The cons...I stumbled a bit through the beginning of the book mainly because of the character's reactions, particularly Sunny.  She just seemed so unfazed by the whole accidental turning incident.  But, her character, like Magnus, showed a lot of growth as the book progressed. 

Overall I enjoyed this book and I can't wait to continue the series.  It is a great read for fans of YA vampire literature. 

Cover LOVE?...I ordered this book from B&N and the picture on the site was the one above.  I actually received the old cover which I do not like as much as the "revamped" covers.  I am disappointed about that because I wanted the covers to match. 

Blood Coven series reading order:
1. Boys That Bite
2. Stake That
3. Girls That Growl
4. Bad Blood

Follow this link to read my interview with Mari.
For more information about Mari Mancusi and her books please visit her website or her blog.

If you enjoyed this series, you may also like...
1. Gamer Girl by Mari Mancusi
2. Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
3. Evermore by Alyson Noel

9 comments:

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Great review! It's nice to hear that though the characters weren't awesome at first, they developed and sort of grew on you. That's how I felt about Sunny too. :)

Kathy Martin said...

I just got this book this week. Numbers 2 & 3 are working their way through the postal system to get to me. Your review made me want to read them very badly. Thanks.

Lea said...

I keep seeing reviews on these books pop up...and now I really want to read them!

Book Snob said...

Great review! I really want to read this series :)

Book Monster said...

Good review!! I bought the book with the previous cover on it!!! I enjoyed this book as well, though I felt Sunny's thoughts to be annoying at time.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Nice review :)

Stacy said...

I have the first 3 books in this series but I haven't read them yet..i was kinda waiting until I get the 4th one but your review makes me want to start NOW! lol

Becky said...

I shall certainly be putting this on my wish list. It sounds like a fab edition to my Sunday afternoon when I have a whole vampire novel thing going on. Great review.

Ms. Yingling said...

I liked this series much better than Twilight. I thought is was clever and more fast paced. It's been popular in my library as well.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.