Thursday, January 7, 2010

Review: Shadow by Jenny Moss



Shadow by Jenny Moss
April 1st 2010- Scholastic

In a time of kings, queens, and conspiracy, it's impossible to know whom one can trust. . . . In a kingdom far away and long ago, it was prophesied at her birth that the queen would die before her sixteenth birthday. So Shadow, an orphan girl the same age as the young queen, was given the duty to watch her every move. And as prophesies do tend to come true, the queen is poisoned days before her birthday. When the castle is thrown into chaos, Shadow escapes with a young knight, whom she believes was betrothed to the queen.

Unsure of why she is following Sir Kenway, but determined to escape as far as possible from the castle, her long-time prison, Shadow sets off on an adventure with the handsome knight who has been charged with protecting her. As mystery builds, and romantic tension does, too, Shadow begins to wonder what her role in the kingdom truly is. Soon, she learns, it is up to her to save her land.  (Summary from Goodreads)

My thoughts...I adored this story.  The story has a fairytale feel, complete with a queen, a knight, beautiful castles, and silk dresses.  However, it surprised me with a dark side full of dungeons, dark secrets, betrayals and lies.  The heroine Shadow, is just that, a Shadow to the beautiful queen.  Queen Audrey treats Shadow very poorly, as do her ladies.  Despite her situation, Shadow keeps her head held high and demands respect, even though it usually results in her punishment.  Her character grew significantly as the book progressed.  She became more bold and determined.  Moss did a brilliant job of telling the story from the heroine's point of view, I got a really good sense of her character. 

The plot of the story flowed very smoothly and I had a very hard time putting it down.  Although it is geared to very YA (ages 10 and up), I think readers of any age would find it enjoyable.  The plot held mystery, a bit of romance, midieval action complete with swords, and magic.  Moss did a very good job capturing that time period.  The descriptions of the lands, the dialect and customs displayed by the characters allowed me to be part of their world.  It was very well written. 

The cons...I am very hard-pressed to say anything negative about this book.  Some readers may be able to predict the ending of the story, but if you are a fan of this type of fairy tale story, you won't mind a bit.

For more information about Jenny Moss or her books, please visit her website
This book does not come out until April, but you can preorder it from Amazon.

If you enjoy this book, you may also like:
1. Winnie's War by Jenny Moss
2. Princess At The Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
3. Ash by Malinda Lo

*Disclaimer-I received this arc from a contest.  I provided my opinion for free, I did not receive monetary compensation. 

5 comments:

Book Monster said...

Never heard of this book, but it looks lovely and looks like a interesting read. I'll have to check this out, Great review :)

Kathy Martin said...

This one sounds really nice for my younger fantasy readers. I'll have to add it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Becky said...

I absolutely love the sound of this book. Knights? Castles? It is just my perfect cup of tea. Handsome knights...I'm going all dreamy!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Ooo great review. Sounds cool.

Alyssa said...

Ooh, thanks for posting! I've been looking forward to this for awhile now and yours is the first review I've seen. I want it even more now.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.