Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YA Interview and Launch Party News: Jen Nadol


Please help me welcome the very talented Jen Nadol who is the author of The Mark.  Her debut novel hits bookshelves today.  So let's get started!

1. Could you start by telling us about your debut novel, The Mark?
JN: It’s about a girl who realizes she knows when it’s someone’s day to die and has to figure out what - if anything - to do about it.

2. Will The Mark be a stand alone novel or a series? Are you currently working on any other projects?
JN: I have a finished YA novel on submission with my Bloomsbury editor now and two others are in the works, pretty early stages. Whether The Mark has a sequel/series is up to the powers that be…

3. A strong heroine makes a story worth reading. If you could describe your heroine Cassie, with only 5 words, which would you choose?
JN: Self-reliant, introspective, intelligent, vulnerable, sixteen

4. How do you find time to read with 3 children under the age of 7 running around?
JN: I don’t! There are so many good books out and forthcoming, I don’t even keep up my to-read list on Goodreads because I don’t want to look at all the stuff I can’t get to.

5. I have heard many authors comment that they dislike the editing part of writing a book. For you, what is the hardest part of the writing process?
JN: First drafts, for sure. I hate when I get to the point where I realize I’m going to be 100 pages short of novel-length or there isn’t enough at stake or that a character isn’t working.

Editing is the fun part because it means I’ve managed to work through most of that.

6. Did you have to do any research for The Mark?

JN: I read a lot of philosophy – Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Kierkegaard. Much more than made it into the novel.

7. If you could travel back in time, where would you find yourself and what would you be holding? (is there anything you could not live without?)
JN: If I’m just going for the day, it’d be to junior year of college and I’d be holding directions to the Career Center to give myself (I’m guessing there was one).

If it’s for a few days, I’d go to early NYC and bring a camera.

If it’s forever, I wouldn’t go.

8. Lastly, what is your favorite way to unwind after a hard day of writing? Any guilty pleasures?
JN: Wine, good food and sleep. Maybe American Idol, Fringe, 24, or the World Series of Poker, if they’re on.

Thank you for taking the time to interview with me. Congratulations on your debut, I wish you the best of luck. I know this book is going to be a hit!

For more information about about Jen Nadol and her debut release, visit her website or on Facebook
The Mark can be purchased from your favorite bookseller including Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

***Jen asked me to be sure and send you to her GIANT LAUNCH PARTY.  There will be special posts about THE MARK and what would a launch party be without PRIZES?  See you there!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Great interview! I'd been hearing whispers about this book and now I definitely have to check it out. Thanks!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Excellent interview! Nice questions :)

Rain Maiden said...

I love the cover of The Mark, thank you for introducing Jen Nadol.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.