Monday, January 18, 2010

YA Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain



A prodigal son

A dangerous love

A deadly secret . . .

I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul. (summary from author's site)

Follow the link to read a sneak peak from the book. 

My thoughts...This book surprised me with an unexpected plot.  I just skimmed the summary (I usually avoid them to avoid spoilers), knew it was a YA title, and knew I adored the cover.  What I did not expect were the OTHER aspects of the story.  I am going to be very vague, as I do not want to ruin the story for anyone.  The plot was VERY suspenseful.  I really did not know what was going on but the story pulled me in so strongly, that I had to keep reading.  Grace, who is shocked by the reappearance of her childhood friend tries to uncover why her brother becomes enraged in his presence.  The story is infused with tons of mystery, legends, Biblical references, and some romance.  The Dark Divine is very well written and should satisfy readers of all ages. 

The main characters in this book live in a very religious household.  Their father is a Pasteur in a relatively small area.  Their lives are sheltered with limited Internet access, strict curfews, and family rules.  This reflected in their decisions, especially Grace's.  She seemed to think about her actions and the consequences that would result from her choices.  She managed to be her own person despite everyone telling her how she should act.  I also think the book has some good overall themes without being preachy.  It briefly touched on some big issues such as drugs, violence, and rape.  These kids may have lived in a religious household, but they were not immune to the realities that most teen face. 

The cons....I don't have anything negative to say about this book.  The ending left room for another book which I am looking forward to devouring. 

Cover LOVE? YES, I love this cover and it's purple accents.  Does it go with the story?  The purple nail polish does, but at first glance it looks like she is floating and as pale as a lifeless body.  I like it and I would have picked it up even if I had never heard of the book before, but it doesn't give any story clues.  

For more information about this book and Bree Despain, visit her on her website

I am not going to do recommendations this time because I don't want to give any spoilers. 

*Disclaimer, I read this book from my personal bookshelf.

7 comments:

Kat O'Keeffe said...

I just finished this and I too was surprised by the direction it took! I knew it was a YA and I knew it was paranormal-y, I just wasn't expecting the type of book it turned out to be. That being said, I loved it and hope there'll be another book!

oO Mariana Oo said...

I really want to read this one, great plot, amazing cover... totally awesome. Great Review ;)

Book Monster said...

Glad you loved this book :) I adored this book :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

O
I SO want this book :)

Becky said...

Great review! I really want to read this. It sounds amazing. You can't fault it?!

misskallie2000 said...

I have read several review on this book and they have all been great. After reading yours today I will have to read The Dark Divine. Thanks

carolsnotebook said...

I have seen this one around, but wasn't sure. You made it sounds excellent.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.