Friday, February 12, 2010

Bottoms Up Feature: Zombie Girrrl

I am hosting my first reading challenge this year. The Bottoms Up 2010 Reading Challenge requires you to read off the bottom of your TBR pile. You can still sign up, follow the link for more information.

I wanted to take the chance to feature the people who have signed up for the challenge. Each week, watch for a new mini-interview from a different participant. Be sure to stop by their blog and cheer them on!

This week will feature Zombie Girrrl of Crackin' Spines & Takin' Names


1. Please tell us a bit about yourself.
ZG: I love reading, and let's be honest, it's because my life is boring. I crave adventure, and I find it in fiction. Plus there's a lot to be learned from reading fiction; the best ways to kill a zombie, for instance1. I don't live on fiction alone, though. I also like reading about my religion, science, and the quirkier events of history. My favorite nonfiction subject is the 1918 flu pandemic, though. Sorta morbid, but really good reading.

2. Please tell us about your blog.
ZG: Crackin' Spines & Takin' Names was born of boredom and the desire to find some new reading material. I pretty much only review YA books, many of my posts include footnotes2, and I rate books on a scale of one to five zombies. In fact, my blog might well be the only zombie-centric YA review blog there is! I'm kinda big on zombies.

3. What kind of books do you like to read?
ZG: I like books with a lot of action or a really gutsy protagonist (preferably both); books that put you in the thick of it. I also love gritty supernatural books like The Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman and Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow. But sometimes I just want something that'll make me laugh like Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty. And sometimes I want all that. When that happens I turn to books like the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. Oh, and a hot/sweet/tough/kind/protective-but-not-over-bearing leading dude doesn't hurt either. ;)

4. OK, time to come clean. How many books are in your TBR pile?
ZG: Heh-he, kinda my whole collection, plus about half of my friends' libraries. In all, not counting stuff I'll check out from my library, there's over 100 books. Now I don't know if you're being literal of figurative when you say "TBR pile", because I don't actually keep my books in a stack, but just for you I decided to see what they'd look like all stacked up! I loved seeing them all in a pile! It made me feel wealthy; like rolling in money.

5. What is your reading goal for the Bottom's Up challenge?
ZG: My goal for the BUC is to shuffle two to three bottom dwellers to the top every month. Most of my Bottom books are from the used bookstore. I was sooo excited to find them all, but somehow they always end up sifting down to the bottom. But no more!

Thanks for having me!
Zombie Girrrl footnotes_______________________________________________________________
1 Shoot from the hip; aim for the head.
2 I'm a big fan of footnotes. I adopted the practice after reading and reviewing An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. Very funny book. I think I gave it 5 zombies.
3 I'm also big on stating the obvious. The zombie thing started about a year ago when I read World War Z by Max Brooks, and as they say, the rest of history went down hill from there.
4 The TRB pile was almost 8 feet tall. During the process of stacking, we experienced two minor collapses, one of which resulted in my being pelted in the face with about a dozen paperbacks. Don't worry, the books were fine!

LOL, I love that picture and the footnotes.  Does your insurance cover injuries caused by reading?  Well you better get reading or invest in a step-stool.  Happy Reading!

5 comments:

Zombie Girrrl said...

Unfortunatly my reader's insurance only covers severe paper cuts, cricks in the neck and shoulder region, and eye strain. I guess they didn't expect avalanches to be a major hazard to the average reader.

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

OMG!!!! I love that pix!!=)

Misty said...

This was fantastic! I'm a big fan of Crackin' Spines (though I'm a bit of a lurker; I really should comment more). And I love footnotes (my come in * ** *** form).
Good stuff!

vvb32 reads said...

love zg's footnotes - always get a laugh or two from them ;-D

Anonymous said...

Damn I was going to buy a new Hummer in late 2012 and drive around the country for a vacation, Now I am going to have to shave my head and join the Hari.s, Muslims, Jews, Jehovah s, Mormons, Christians, and a few other wing nut groups just to cover all my bases.
[url=http://2012earth.net
]planetery ascension december 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.