Sunday, February 14, 2010

Review: Original Sin by Allison Brennan

A coven of witches well versed in the black arts unleash the Seven Deadly Sins on earth - as incarnate demons with an agenda. Raised a witch in her mother's powerful coven, Moira O'Donnell ran away when she learned her mother planned to sacrifice her to be "mediator" between the underworld and all united covens. Forsaking her power after her lover was killed by magic, she must stop her mother from controlling the Seven Deadly Sins or the balance of power between the worlds will shift forever to the dark side. (summary from author's site)

Click here to read an excerpt from Original Sin.

My thoughts...This is the first book in the Seven Deadly Sins series.  Book two, Carnal Sin, comes out in June, 2010.  This series has some interesting characters.  The heroine, Moria, is trying to stop her mother, who is the leader of the coven, from doing evil.  Moria is a strong heroine who faces some pretty scary challenges.  Her mother, Fiona is truly evil.  I was left with chills after she did some atrocious things.  The story is told through various character's point of view, which became a bit confusing at times.  My favorite character in the book was a mysterious man named Rafe.  While he isn't introduced until later in the story, I found myself looking forward to his scenes.

The plot has good potential. A coven of witches frees the seven deadly sins in an attempt to achieve immortality and great power.  I think there could be many books, especially if each book focuses on a different sin.  I could tell Allison Brennan did some research into the story.  One part particularly talked about Coven rituals and a witch's herb garden.  If found this interesting and make the story feel realistic.  Brennan did a great job of describing the scenes.  I could vividly picture each setting, feel the air and imagine the smells.

The cons...I had a really hard time getting into the story.  Some of the scenes did not seem developed enough to keep me in the story.  They would start off good, but I would find myself lost half way through.  The POV jumped around so much, I had to go back are reread to figure out who was speaking.  The book ended at 442 pages and I felt like many of those scenes could have been eliminated to allow the story to flow better.  It did not keep my attention.  Also there was not enough romance. I am not saying it needed to be packed with love scenes, but Moria spent so much time as a loner, it was hard to really connect with her. She lacked that personal side. However, she was suffering and grieving, so maybe her character will develop more in future books.

Cover LOVE?  The cover is OK.  The artwork definitely fits with the story line and the title.  You can't tell in the picture, but it is very shiny. 

For more information on this book, visit Allison Brennan's website.
This book can be ordered from popular booksellers such as Amazon.

Instead of recommendations, I am going to give you some links to other reviews. 
1. Wicked Little Pixie
2. All Things Urban Fantasy
3. Fiction Vixon

*Disclaimer-I received this book from the publisher for sharing my review.

5 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

I didn't enjoy this book at all, to be honest. It has the dubious honor of being my first Could Not Finish review, (posted here) for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned.

Abigail [All Things Urban Fantasy] said...

A lot of reviewers seem to either love or hate this book. I thought it was kind of a mess myself. Thanks for your review.

throuthehaze said...

Sorry the book wasn't awesome.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review :)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.