Saturday, February 27, 2010

Review: The Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark

In this beguiling retelling of the classic Pygmalion, we meet Lucy Ellis, a Manhattan transplant who dreams of making it as a fashion designer but instead toils away on a Garment District assembly line. Road-blocked each time she tries to score a break, Lucy is beginning to think the unthinkable: maybe it's time to pack it in and move home to Minnesota. Then, during a torrential downpour, at her most bedraggled and disheartened, Lucy meets Wyatt Hayes IV.

Wyatt -- man-about-town and bored Ph.D. anthropologist -- has just been publicly dissed by New York's reigning socialite, Cornelia Rockman, whom he'd been dating. He boasts to his best friend Trip that he can transform any woman -- even a trailer-born nobody like Lucy -- into this year's "It" girl. "Give me a few months," he tells Trip, "and I could turn her into a social luminary. She'll make the rest of the pack look like dim little tea lights." If Wyatt can fool the East Coast aristocracy into thinking Lucy's the real deal, he can reveal the farce behind Cornelia's social superiority complex . . . and score a career-boosting book deal. (summary from FSB media)

My thoughts...When this story first began, I found myself overwhelmed with the name dropping.  All the fancy designers, labels, $500 shoes made me sort of dizzy and a bit turned off.  However, once the story started to take off and the plot took over the glitz blended nicely into the scenery.  The plot was a unique twist on an old story infused with romance, heartbreak, and a whole lotta money.  The Overnight Socialite gave readers a pretty good look into the elite social setting in New York City.  Readers get several different POV's because story not only followed Lucy and Wyatt, the main characters, but also several of their friends and acquaintances.  The ending wrapped up, but it felt a little abrupt.  You could definitely make strong inferences about the character's lives, but I longed for more details. 

As far as the characters go, they grew on me.  Initially, I could not imagine someone taking Wyatt up on his offer to be a social experiment, but after considering Lucy Jo's dreams and the extent of her devastation, it seemed plausible.  I mean what did she have to loose?  Her character really changed as the story progressed, but not as much as Wyatt's.  I enjoyed reading his scenes. His stubbornness, his denial, and his pride made him an interesting character.  My favorite character by far was Eloise, Lucy's friend.  Of all the characters in the book, she was the most real and down-to-Earth, (with the exception of Lucy's mother).  Overall, most of the characters were interesting and memorable 

The cons...The only issue I had while reading came from too many POV's.  There were several characters in the story who's point of view really contributed to the story.  For example, the thoughts of Cornellia, the villianess, really helped the story move along and helped drive the reader's emotions.  There were several subplots using various characters that I just skimmed through or skipped all together.  These sections felt like filler and took away from the main story line too much, in my opinion.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and was rather sad when the story ended.  I would recommend it to fans of chick-lit. 

Cover LOVE?  One of the reasons I accepted this review was the cover, I think it is adorable.  It makes the story look whimsical, playful, and a bit romantic. 

For more information about Bridie Clark and her books, visit her website.
The Overnight Socialite can be purchased at popular booksellers such as Amazon and Indiebound.

*This book for provided by FSB Associates for my review.

3 comments:

justpeachy36 said...

This one looks interesting. I might have to check it out.

I gave you a shoutout on my blog today:

http://debsbookbag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-saturday-10.html

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Awesome review! I loved the author's previous book Because She Can so I bought this one as soon as it came out! Cannot wait to read it!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review. The cover is definitely lovely.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.