Tuesday, February 23, 2010

YA interview: Teri Hall

Rachel lives with her mother on The Property. The good thing about living there is that it’s far from the city where the oppressive government is most active. The bad thing, at least to most people, is that it’s close to the Line—an uncrossable section of the National Border Defense System, an invisible barrier that encloses the entire country.

She can see the Line from the greenhouse windows, but she is forbidden to go near it. Across the Line is Away, and though Rachel has heard many whispers about the dangers there, she’s never really believed the stories. Until the day she hears a recording that could only have come from across the Line.

It’s a voice asking for help.

Who sent the message? What is her mother hiding? And to what lengths will Rachel go in order to do what she thinks is right?

The Line, Teri Hall's debut YA novel hits shelves in March. Follow this link to see my review. Please help me welcome Teri.

1.A strong heroine makes a story worth reading. Could you tell us about Rachel?
TH: I can tell you a bit. She is a girl who has grown up among adults, isolated from most of society, with no peers for friends. So that means she is very mature in some ways, and slightly immature in others. At the beginning of the story, Rachel believes being brave means not being afraid. She thinks knowing the right thing to do and then doing it should be simple. She sees people in a pretty black and white way.

By the end of the first book, she’s changed a bit. She begins to understand that courage actually happens only when you act in spite of your fear, and that knowing the right thing to do is actually pretty simple most of the time, but actually doing it might be the hardest, most complicated thing ever, depending on the situation.

2.Will The Line be a stand alone novel or will the story continue? Are you working on any other projects?
TH: I plan that it will be a trilogy. I am working on the sequel to The Line—Away—now.

3.The plot is very original, what inspired this story?
TH: I really dislike those “I dreamt it” stories, but I dreamt it, at least one tiny bit of it. I had a dream where I saw a single scene—a scene where a young girl was sitting in a room where the walls were made of glass. It was night and it was raining hard, the kind of rain where it falls against the glass in sheets. The girls was peering out into the night, but she couldn’t really see because of the way the rain was sheeting down the glass. She seemed anxious in my dream. There was a sudden flash of lightening, and the girl could se, just for an instant. And she saw something that made her gasp out loud. When she gasped in my dream, it woke me up. For the next dew days that scene kept popping into my mind. I just kept wondering who that girl was, and why those walls were glass, and why she was anxious, and what it was that she saw in that flash of lightening. And that was the beginning of The Line.

4.You stumble into a time machine in the woods in Washington. Do you get in? If so, do you visit the past or the future and what do you take with you?
TH: Hmmmm. I think I get in. And I visit the recent past. And I take a couple of bucks and some winning lottery numbers. For one that nobody else won, that had a HUGE payout.

5. Lastly, what is your favorite way to unwind after a hard night of writing? Any guilty pleasures?
TH: Sleep! I work a full time day job, and write at night. So my guilty pleasure these days is trying for seven hours of sleep. I don’t get it often enough.

Thank you for visiting Teri and congratulations on your book. I am very excited to the this will be a trilogy! 
For more information about Teri and her book, please visit her website
Follow this link to
preorder The Line from Amazon
 

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Brilliant interview! I'm dying to read this one...the cover is stunning! :)

Charlotte (The Book on the Hill) said...

Nice interview ! Working during the day and writing at night, that must be, huh, tiring ! :)

Ivana said...

Great interview! This book has caught my eye months ago, unfortunately I still didn't get to read it. A great premise!

Elie said...

Ivana, The Line will be out in March. It is really worth the wait!

WilowRaven said...

Great interview! I absolutely loved The Line and can't wait for the next two. Thank you Teri for such a great book!

Nina said...

Great questions, the book sounds very interesting. Love the cover, mysterious!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.