Tuesday, February 16, 2010

YA review: Beautiful Dead, Book 1 Jonas by Eden Maguire


Beautiful Dead, Book 1 Jonas
By, Eden Maguire
March 2010

Darina's year goes from bad to worse when her boyfriend, Phoenix, is killed in a knife fight, making him the fourth student from their high school to die that year. She's certain that she's going crazy when she sees him and the others in an abandoned barn, but when Phoenix kisses her, she's convinced he's come back… to life?

Jonas, Summer, Arizona, and Phoenix have been brought back from limbo by the enigmatic and sometimes frightening Hunter, and are allowed to remain in the world of the living for one year in order to set right a wrong linked to their deaths. In exchange for being allowed to see Phoenix, Darina agrees to help the undead teens find justice, starting with Jonas… whose year is nearly up.

Darina must discover who is behind Jonas's fatal motorcycle accident… without becoming a victim herself… and keep the Beautiful Dead a secret. She would sacrifice anything to help her beloved Phoenix, but setting him free might mean losing him forever. (Summary from Sourcebooks Fire)

My thoughts... BLINK. This book was very easy to read and I literally devoured it.  When I first saw the cover, I thought "looks very cool".  Then I read I heard the word zombies and thought, UGG, but forged ahead anyway.  Let me just say that I am so glad I did. 

The plot of the story was very unique. Darina found her recently deceased boyfriend alive and well, surrounded by his undead classmates. No vampires, zombies, but not it the theatrical sense. The book held something for everyone, mystery, heartbreak, action, a bit of romance, and motorcycles. I could not put the book down.  The writing was very smooth and I feel it had a strong voice.  The story was believable. 

The characters were all very interesting and very memorable.  This book focused on Jonas, and Darina's quest to help him.  Darina, the heroine was very determined and devoted to her friends.  I liked her more and more as the story progressed.  One of the characters I hope to learn more about is the guardian, Hunter.  We did not learn much about him in this book, but there is something about him, I think he is keeping a huge secret.  My favorite thing about the story is the Angel wings tattoo.  I don't want to give away what it is, but I will say it was very creative. 

The cons...The only thing I could not figure out is how Darina found the Beautiful Dead in the first place.  The book opens with her finding them in an abandoned farm.  It seemed out of the way-a long drive up a mountain road and a hike through the woods.  Unless I missed something, it was a bit too convenient.

Cover LOVE? Absolutely.  The first time I saw the covers in this series I knew they would be good.  The colors are very monotone with the exception of the title font.  The picture is very dramatic and it really sets the mood for the story. 

For more information about the book, visit Sourcebook Fire or bebo.com.  I was unable to find a website for the author. 
This book can be preordered through popular booksellers such as Amazon

This is the first book like this that I have read, so rather than give book recommendations, here are some links to some other reviews...
1. Wondrous Reads
2. So Many Books, So Little Time
3. Teenage Fiction for All Ages

*I received this arc through part of a book tour in conjunction with Around The World Tours.

CymLowell

14 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I am really excited for this one to come out - I love the sound of it. Thanks for the awesome review!

Melissa said...

This both looks and sounds sooooo good! :)

Nina said...

Thanks for the great review, it sounds fantastic. And the cover makes me go WOWie!

brizmus said...

I've been skeptical about reading this book because of the zombies. Now I'm thinking I defo have to give it a try!

Dahlia said...

I saw this on one of my group shelves on Shelfari months ago, and have been wondering whether it's worth reading ever since. I'll definitely have to read it now. :)

Misty said...

"Then I read I heard the word zombies and thought, UGG..."
See, I hear the word zombies and think, 'Yay!'

Becky said...

It took me a while to get into this book. I thought is was almost too simply told but by the end I did enjoy it. Great review.

Mary Ann DeBorde said...

I'm with you, Elie, that cover rocks! hehehe another yummy zombie book to add to my pile =D

Kirthi said...

Sounds so good! I love the cover too :D
If you devoured it, then so will I, great review!

Simcha said...

This sounds like an interesting book. Zombie books don't usually appeal to me but I think I might give this one a try. Great review!

Kay said...

I'm so glad you liked it! Even though I've already bought a copy, the whole zombie thing had me anxious to start it. Will have to get to it asap!

Lea said...

This sounds awesome! Amazing review :)

Monica said...

I want to read this one...I saw your post on the Cym Lowell's book party! Great review.

Michelle said...

Wow. Sounds really interesting. I love "traditional" zombies (You know, the eat-your-brains-out kind), but these zombies sound cool, too. I like how human they are as opposed to the "normal" zombies.

Thanks for the review!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.