Wednesday, February 17, 2010

YA review: The Line by Terri Hall

The Line by Terri Hall
March 2010

In the not so distant future...
Rachel lives with her mother on The Property. The good thing about living there is that it’s far from the city where the oppressive government is most active. The bad thing, at least to most people, is that it’s close to the Line—an uncrossable section of the National Border Defense System, an invisible barrier that encloses the entire country.

She can see the Line from the greenhouse windows, but she is forbidden to go near it. Across the Line is Away, and though Rachel has heard many whispers about the dangers there, she’s never really believed the stories. Until the day she hears a recording that could only have come from across the Line.

It’s a voice asking for help.

Who sent the message? What is her mother hiding? And to what lengths will Rachel go in order to do what she thinks is right? (summary from author's website)

Click here to read the first exciting chapter of The Line.

My thoughts...WOW, this is one of the best books I have read in a while.  This is the first dystopian story I have ever read and I really enjoyed it.  The best part of the book is the suspense.  From the very first chapter, you  are immediately drawn into this world divided by an invisible barrier.  My imagination ran wild as I thought about what could be on the other side and how life would be, if such a barrier split our world.  The mystery continues, even as we learn more about The Line.  Through a mother's history lessons, some of the questions are answered.  Still we are left to wonder who is good and who will betray as morals are tested.  The plot was very original, face-paced, and very exciting. 

From the beginning, my mind sorted the characters into two categories...those who supported the government, and those who opposed it.  The heroine, young Rachel is heavily influenced by her mother to believe the government is wrong.  Her mother is a very strong character in the story,  very determined and loving.  Several chapters told in her point-of-view reveal just how much she loves her daughter and how desperately she wants to keep her safe.   We also get a peek into the mind of their employer, the stern Ms. Moore.  Her stone personality gives the story some extra edge.  All of the characters were memorable.  I enjoyed the shifting POV, it helped the story flow smoothly. 

The cons...The next book, titled Away, doesn't come out until early 2011.  I don't know if I can wait that long. 

Cover LOVE?  I do like this cover.  It is very intriguing and mysterious.  The greenhouse has an ominous feel and it is very pertinent to the story. 

For more information about Teri Hall and her books, visit her website

If you enjoyed this book, you may also like...
1. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
 
*I received this arc through Around The World Tours.

13 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

Great review - I cant WAIT to get my hands on this book!

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

Nice review! I liked it, but I didn't love it as much as you did :)

samantha.1020 said...

Just by reading your summary, I know that this will be a book that I am interested in. Great review!

GABY said...

I liked your review. The first time I saw the cover I thought it was something with zombies/monsters...but I was so wrong. I will try to read it, I'm not a fan of this kind of books but sometimes I want to try something new ;)

GABY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Great review! I'm already excited for the next book in the series as this one had lots of delicious loose ends at the end.

Kirthi said...

This reminds me of the Wake cover for some reason...the font and the black are the same. This sounds really good though, nice review!

Kathy Martin said...

I have given you an award. Check out my blog here to find out about it.

choco (In Which a Girl Reads) said...

Wow, this book sounds awesome! *loves the cover and the fact that it's dystopian*

Great review :)

Book Monster said...

I'm excited for this one, nice review!!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Wow. Sounds awesome. Thanks for the great review.

Becky said...

Excellent. It is so good to read a review of this after all the hype. Great to hear that you really enjoyed it. I want to read this for sure.

Misty said...

Ohhh, I wanna get my hands on this. I think it sounds fantastic!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.