Saturday, February 6, 2010

YA review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with an unbreakable bond to the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi; the fiercest and most dangerous vampires--the ones who never die.
The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend, makes her a Dhampir; she is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making her one of them.

After two years of illicit freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. Rose will continue her Dhampir education. Lissa will go back to being Queen of the elite Moroi social scene. And both girls will resume breaking hearts.

Fear made Lissa and Rose run away from St. Vladimir's--but their world is fraught with danger both inside and out of the Academy's iron gates. Here, the cutthroat ranks of the Moroi perform unspeakable rituals and their secretive nature and love of the night creates an enigmatic world full of social complexities. Rose and Lissa must navigate through this dangerous world, confront the temptation of forbidden romance, and never once let their guard down, lest the Strigoi make Lissa one of them forever... (summary from authors site)

Click here to read an excerpt from Vampire Academy.

My thoughts...I must have been living under a rock because out of all the YA vampire novels I have read, this is one of my favorite.  I do not know why I waited so long to read it.  Vampire Academy introduces us to Rose, a kick-butt heroine who would sacrifice herself to defend her friend Lissa.  Rose is drawn to her trainer, Dimitri who is not only kick butt, he's sexy.  Readers are also introduced to several other characters in the story.  I liked Chirstian from the start.  I hope we see more of him in future books. 

While there are similarities to other YA vampire novels, Richelle Mead puts her own spin on the story and makes it unique and interesting.  Once I got to about the 50th page, I devoured the story.  While the majority of the characters in the story are teenagers, they are mature.  They find themselves in dangerous situations, but they still manage to use common sense.  There are a few scenes of an adult nature, but they are tastefully written and not very graphic.  The story provided quite a bit of background about the Vampires and Dhapirs without boring the reader.  The ending left a great lead into the next book, Frostbite. 

The cons...I have none.  This book far exceed what I expected and I can't wait to continue in the series.


Cover LOVE?  Ah, the cover is alright.  It gives you a nice picture of Rose, although I think the angle is awkward.  It is not my favorite in the series. 

For more information about Richelle Mead and her books, visit her website or her blog on livejournal

Vampire Academy reading order:
1. Vampire Academy (Aug 2007)
2. Frostbite (April 2008)
3. Shadow Kiss (Nov 2008)
4. Blood Promise (Aug 2009)
5. Spirit Bound (coming May 18, 2010)

If you liked this book, you many also enjoy...
1. Marked by PC and Kristen Cast
2. Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
3. Blue Bloods by Melissa DeLa Cruz

15 comments:

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Vampire Academy is not only my favorite vampire series but also one of my favorite series!! I loved this book and had the same reaction, why hadn't I read it sooner! I think the cheesy title kept me away but its amazing and the nextbooks will blow your mind away! Cant wait for Spirit Bound!

Midday Escapades said...

Howdy. Thanks for linking up with Friday Follow! I am now your blog follower. Happy weekend!

~ Lynn
http://www.middayescapades.com

Lea said...

Yay! This is my favorite vampire series too! It took me until a few months ago to finally start reading the series, but it was definitely worth it (and I recently converted a friend into a VA fan)!

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to your reviews of the next ones :)

YA Vampire Books said...

Yay! I'm so glad you finally picked this up! This is such a great series and everyone should read it ;)

The following books are even better than the first one!

Rain Maiden said...

Yea! I am so glad you loves this book. This series is one of my favs. If you go to Richelle Mead's website, you can order her books and she will sign them...so awesome.

Tynga said...

I love love LOVE this series, Shadow Kiss was my favorite! I can't wait for spirit bound!

LunaMoth said...

can't wait for the last one, oh.. you will cry in i think shadow kiss.. that one is like O_O

Book Snob said...

Great review! I loved this book! It took me so long to pick it up because the girl on the cover looks a lot like Angelina Jolie which turned me off to the book for a long time. But I was so glad when I finally picked it up!

Caitlin said...

You must have been living under a rock! This series is great. One of my favorite YA series out there, and I can't wait for Spirit Bound. If you liked Vampire Academy, just wait 'til you read the rest of the books.. they get better and better!

Elie said...

I am so excited to read the rest of the series. I am going to wait until right before the next book comes out and have a marathon. IF I can hold out that long.

Becky said...

I really want to read this and I have a copy from the library. but I feel a bit of a vampire overload has happened in my reading so I need a change.

vvb32 reads said...

i like this series too. although i have to read book 2 soon. the cover could be better which i think is why it took me awhile to read it too. but i kept hearing good reviews. also doesn't the girl remind you of angelina jolie?

KC said...

I loved this series! You will quickly devour the next 3 books and will be watching the clock til Spirit Bound comes out in May!! I can't wait!!!

Nikola said...

OMG, I wanna read this so bad! And everybody seems to be raving about it! :)

Donna [F.D. Ramblings] said...

Well, you left the rock before I did! ;) I still need to read this one. Nice review!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.