Tuesday, March 16, 2010

YA Interview: Kimberly Derting

Please help me welcome debut author Kimberly Derting,  Today is the official lauch day!  Congrats Kimberly!

1. Please tell us about your debut novel, The Body Finder.
KD: I recently saw this description on a review, and really liked it:

Violet Ambrose is like any other sixteen-year-old girl. She's not a morning person, she sometimes feels uncomfortable in her own skin, and she has a crush on a boy. But she also has an unusual and morbid gift--she senses the auras of murder victims, animal or human. At the beginning of her junior year, her small Washington town is plagued by a serial killer who is targeting young girls. About this time, Violet discovers new, uncomfortable romantic feelings for her long-time best friend, Jay. As Violet finds herself consumed in the mystery of the killings, her relationship with Jay becomes more important than ever. Can Violet win Jay's heart? Will the missing girls be found? And will the killer target Violet next?

Pretty good, huh?

2. How would you best describe your heroine Violet?
KD: With the exception of the whole body-finding thing, I think Violet could be described as a pretty normal teenager. I hope readers will see her as a vulnerable and relatable character. What she IS NOT is a kick-butt (in-your-face) type of girl.

Oh, yeah, and neither am I!

3. The trailer for The Body Finder looks very intense. Would you describe your novel as scary?
KD: Ha! I love the words INTENSE and SCARY when hearing someone describe The Body Finder and the trailer! When my oldest daughter first read it, she didn’t want to go downstairs to get a glass of water…so yeah, it’s a little scary. But there’s a sweet romance too!

4. Once upon a time, you were a biology major. Did you use any of this knowledge in writing your book? Did you have to do much research?
KD: I didn’t use anything from my biology classes, but I did call on some great friends of mine who are experts on all things police, fire, and rescue. They were SO helpful, and extremely patient with my silly questions. I would tell them thank you here but I’m not sure either of them knows what a blog is. J

5. Are you currently working on any other projects? A sequel perhaps?
KD: The sequel to The Body Finder is called Desires of the Dead and comes out in 2011! I also have a few other things I’m working on but I’m crazy-superstitious (heavy on the crazy) so I can’t talk about them yet. You wouldn’t be trying to jinx me, would you??? J

6. DING, DING...You just won dinner with any fictional character from literature or film, past or present. Who will you be dining with?
KD: Yay, I never win anything! Let’s see, I love to laugh so I will have to go with Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf because how could dinner with him NOT be a riot??? Plus he really likes sugar, so we already have a lot in common!

7. Lastly, what is your favorite way to relax after a hard day of writing?
KD: Actually, writing is my favorite way to relax after a hard day…does that say something sick about me, that I like to work to unwind???

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us.  Congrats on your book, we will be watching for Desires of the Dead. 

For more information about Kimberly and her books, visit her at her website
Don't have a copy of The Body Finder yet, you can order it from popular booksellers such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

4 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

Great interview I love Kimberly she's just so real! And The Body Finder is AMAZING! :)

Lindsay's Photographys said...

You won a award(s) at my blog,

http://lindsayphotobook.blogspot.com/2010/03/awards.html

Maria the Bookworm said...

Great interview! I can't wait to read The Body Finder, I've only heard positive things about it :D

Raíla said...

I CAN'T wait for buying this one! Loved the interview! I just linked this on my blog :-)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.