Monday, March 29, 2010

YA review: Anxious Hearts by Tucker Shaw

Anxious Hearts by, Tucker Shaw
May 1,  2010

Eva and Gabe explore the golden forest of their seaside Maine town, unknowingly tracing the footsteps of two teens, Evangeline and Gabriel, who once lived in the idyllic wooded village of Acadia more than one hundred years ago. On the day that Evangeline and Gabriel were be wed, their village was attacked and the two were separated. And now in the present, Gabe has mysteriously disappeared from Eva.

A dreamlike, loose retelling of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s famous love poem “Evangeline,” Anxious Hearts tells an epic tale of unrequited love and the hope that true love can be reunited. (summary from Barnes & Noble)

My thoughts...As mentioned in the book summary, this is a retelling of the famous love poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  It is a beautiful poem.  Tucker Shaw did a great job capturing the emotion from the poem and translating it into story form.  I could taste the fear of the villagers seeing the ships in their harbor.  I could feel the profound loss as families were separated by the invading soldiers.  The scenes were written with such amazing detail, I felt like I was there.  I also enjoyed Eva's character.  Her determination and ability to follow her heart had me rooting for her throughout the whole story. 

The cons...While there were things about this story I enjoyed, overall it just didn't do it for me.  I found it difficult to stay involved in the story.  The story shifted perspectives, told from the two main characters, Gabe and Eva.  The story also shifted time periods.  Part of Gabe's story was told as Gabe, a teen aged boy living in modern times and part was told as Gabriel, a man living in a much earlier time period.  He relives a story written in a notebook and searches for his lost love Evangeline (which is Eve?). I found the plot a bit confusing. 

For more information about Tucker Shaw and his book, visit him at his goodreads page
You can preorder your copy of Anxious Hearts from booksellers such as Amazon

This book was also reviewed by Harlequin Twilight's Book Blog.  She gave it 5 stars, so check out her review.

**I received this book from Around The World Tours.
CymLowell

7 comments:

Audrey; (AyC) said...

Yeah, I kind of get what you mean; sometimes perspective shifing works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've never read the poem before, but the novel looks cool! I don't think I've ever heard of a novel based on a poem before!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Great review, I really want to read this one!

Nicole said...

This sounds so interesting. I'l be sure to check it out!

Book Monster said...

Oooh I totally see why you the story through you off with the cons and all. I'm not hesitant about this read.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I ADORE Longfellow! Even if it's not grand - I really should read this one. I'm off to make sure its on my TBR list. Thanks for the awesome honest review.

Becky said...

Interesting review. I still want to read this but I can understand why the change in perspectives can alienate you as a reader. I guess I'll just try it and see what happens. Thanks for sharing.

Misty said...

I don't know that I'll ever read this one, but what a cover! I love the light.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.