Saturday, March 6, 2010

YA review: Hearts At Stake by Alyxandra Harvey

On Solange’s sixteenth birthday, she is going to wake up dead. As if that’s not bad enough, she also has to outwit her seven overprotective older brothers, avoid the politics involved with being the only daughter born to an ancient vampire dynasty, and elude Kieran Black - agent of an anti-vampire league who is searching for his father’s killer and is intent on staking Solange and her entire family.

Luckily she has her own secret weapon - her human best friend Lucy - who is willing to defend Solange’s right to a normal life, whether she’s being smothered by her well-intentioned brothers or abducted by a power-hungry queen. Two unlikely alliances are formed in a race to save Solange’s eternal life - Lucy and Solange’s brother Nicholas, and Solange and Kieran Black - in a dual romance that is guaranteed to jump start any romance-lover’s heart.

My thoughts...I loved this book.  Every time I think I have had my fill of vampire tales, I stumble on another great one and Hearts At Stake falls into that category.  Let me start with the characters.  The story is told from two perspectives, Solange, the soon to be vampire princess and her BFF Lucy who is human.  It took a few chapters to get used to the jumping POV, but once I got into the rythm, it flowed nicely. I love Solange, her character was very down-to-Earth, someone you would want to hang out with.  Despite her human limitations, Lucy was kick-butt.  Readers also get to meet Solange's brothers.  I instantly fell for Nicholas, you will too. 

The plot of Hearts At Stake was packed with action from the very first chapter. Considering how many vampire stories there are, this one felt very fresh and current.  There were tons of fight scenes infused with some young love. It was all very age appropriate and would be great for readers of all ages. This first book provided quite a bit of background, but it was very well written and easy to understand.  The ending took me to the edge of my seat in anticipation of the climax.  It did not leave me hanging on a threat, but left the door open for the next book in the Chronicles.   

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  I will be reading book 2, Blood Feud. 

For more information, visit Alyxandra Harvey at her website.
You can purchase this book at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

This book was also reviewed by...
1, Library Lounge Lizard
2. Bookalicious
3, Shut Up! I'm Reading.

8 comments:

Dannie said...

ive been hearing good things about this one. glad you enjoyed.

I'm a Lit-Bitch, Baby said...

Good review. This looks really interesting.

samantha.1020 said...

I've got this one checked out from the library and am really looking forward to reading it. Great review!

pirate penguin said...

I actually read a few pages of this one at B&N today and you're right, I instantly loved Nicholas. Lucy was pretty awesome as well.. I have to pick this one up again really soon. Thanks for the great review :)

Becky said...

Lovely review. I am looking forward to reading this. It is nice to have a vampire book on the market which is humourous rather than deadly (ha ha) serious.

fredamans said...

Great review! It does look really good.

Sherry @ Flipping Pages for All Ages said...

Great review! I still need to pick this one up, it def. sounds like something I would enjoy! :)

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

I totally fell for Nicholas.

I am a fan of switching POVs but this one I had a hard time separating the voices because both were young females in my head. There were a few times I had to check the chapter page to remind myself in the beginning but as I got deeper into the book their personalities were distinct and I could tell easily.

I am really excited to see your good review because I loved it as well!!=)

*sigh* Nicholas *sigh*!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.