Saturday, March 13, 2010

YA review: The Karma Club by Jessica Brody

Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma works. Do good things and you'll be rewarded, do something bad and Karma will make sure you get what you deserve. But when Maddy’s boyfriend cheats on her, nothing bad comes his way. That’s why Maddy starts the Karma Club, to clean up the messes that the universe has left behind. Sometimes, though, it isn’t wise to meddle with the universe. It turns out Karma often has plans of its own.


Click here to read an excerpt from The Karma Club.

My thoughts...Mostly of us, with the exception of a very fortunate few,  have been through a bad breakup.  Frequently, the break-up is due to someone not being faithful, honest, or having respect for their significant other.  So it is very easy to sympathize with the girls in the book, particularly Maddy, when they go after the source of their grief.  The plot of this story was cute, predictable, but enjoyable.  There is a hint of a blossoming romance, plenty of stuck-up girls, and heartbreak to satisfy fans of YA novels.  For me, the best part of this story was the moral.  I know, I know, "the moral", but it really sent a good message to readers.

I would recommend this book to younger YA readers.  The recommendation on the book states ages 12 and up.  The book is very age appropriate, so parents of young readers don't have to worry about bad language, sex scenes, or drug abuse (just a bit of smooching).  It was a very quick read, I read it in less than 24 hours.  This was however, not one of my favorite YA reads.  The actions of the characters, while understandable, seemed a bit harsh.  However, I did notice quite a bit a character growth by the end of the story. 

There was a line from the story that stayed with me...
"I think most people want to do the right thing, they're just not presented with enough opportunities to do so."

For more information about Jessica Brody and her books,
visit her website
The Karma Club does not come out until April 27, 2010, but you can preorder your copy from popular booksellers such as Amazon

Here is the book trailer, enjoy!

*This book was provided by Around The World Tours

7 comments:

Becky said...

Great review. This one will definitely appeal to the girls in my library and yeah the whole break up thing. Been there, got the t-shirt. I don't miss the days before I met hubby!

fredamans said...

Great review! This looks like a great story. I love ones that have moralistic content. I'm sure to watch for this one.

justpeachy36 said...

Great review and I liked the trailer for this one too.

P.S. You have an award:

http://debsbookbag.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-awards.html

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review. I can not wait to read this.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Wow, you got to read this already? Lucky you! Thanks for the review, this is definitely on my wishlist!

Alexia561 said...

Enjoyed your review! Sounds like a fast, fun read. Thanks!

Shannon said...

This book looks really cute.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.