Monday, March 15, 2010

YA review: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Rules of Attraction:
The sequel to Perfect Chemistry!
April 13, 2010

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

My thoughts...Let me start by saying I did not read the first book in the series, Perfect Chemistry.  I am sure it would have given me better expectations of the second book, but it was not necessary.   These novels can stand alone.  Simone Elkeles knows how to write the ultimate bad boy.  Carlos finds himself struggling to get out of gang life and out of his bad boy ways.  While he is tough and packed full of attitude, readers periodically catch glimpses of his softer side, which makes him so likable.  The other character we get perspectives from is Kiara, who is the total opposite of Carlos.  While she is not your average girly girl, she is definitely a good daughter.  The two of them have one of those against all odds relationships. 

The plot of Rules of Attraction moved at a quick, enjoyable pace.  This book offers something for everyone, even male readers.  The chapters alternate point-of-view between Carlos and Kiara.  The story takes us into a journey into the life of someone who is trying to avoid gang life.  At times, I felt truly afraid for Carlos due to the danger he and his loved ones were facing.  Aside from the dangerous side, this is also a love story, a sort of modern Romeo and Juliet tale.  Rules of Attraction is a beautifully written tale sure to enjoyed be a variety of readers. 

Lastly, I feel like I should mention that the book is for older YA readers.  These characters experience some extreme situations.  As a result, there is quite a bit of adult language, drug abuse, and some violence. Readers will also read several sexual situations. They are not very graphic, but I would not recommend it for younger readers. 

For more information about Simone Elkeles or her novels, visit her website or the official Perfect Chemistry page. 

Laws of Attraction can be preordered from popular booksellers such as Amazon and Barnes and Noble

*I received this arc for review through Around The World tours

6 comments:

Maria the Bookworm said...

Great review :) Perfect Chemistry is so good and I can't wait for the sequel. Are you planning to read Perfect Chemistry as well? :)

oO Mariana Oo said...

Awesome! I havent read Perfect Chemistry either but I really want to read both soon, they look so good ^^

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Nice. I need to try this series. I love the cover. For some reason it makes me think of Grease. Crazy I know. I think it's the car racing feel I get from it.

Marie said...

I like the plot of this book, I've always passed by it but now after reading your review I think I'll pick it up!

Cari said...

I can't wait for this book! I loved Perfect Chemistry!!! Great review!

BookFreak said...

Great review.
I want this book SO badly!
Grr, you are so lucky.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.