Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Review: The Mage In Black by Jaye Wells

Sabina Kane doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to family. After all, her own grandmother, leader of the vampire race, wants her dead. So when she arrives in New York to meet her mage relatives, the reunion puts the fun in dysfunctional. Not only is mage culture completely bizarre, but everyone seems to think she’s some kind of ‘Chosen’ who’ll unite the dark races. Sabina doesn’t care who chose her, she’s not into destiny.

But the mages aren’t Sabina’s only problem. In New York’s Black Light District, she has run-ins with fighting demons, hostile werewolves and an opportunistic old flame. Sabina thought she’d take a bite out of the Big Apple – but it looks like it wants to bite back.

My thoughts...In case you are new to this series, this is book two.  You can read my review of book one, Red-Headed Stepchild, by following this link.  Book one was good, but I was waiting for something to set this heroine apart from others in the Urban Fantasy world.  Book two, The Mage In Black did just that.  Readers learn in book one that Sabina Kane is half vampire and half mage, but the mage side is not really explored.  TMIB really explores her magical abilities, introduces a magical community, and gives Sabina platform to stand on. 

In The Mage In Black, I saw different sides of Sabina.  She was vulnerable at times, desperate, and sentimental, but she maintained her kick-butt strength.  The character growth really helped me relate and connect to her.  I do not want to give any spoilers, but I will say that we see some old faces in book two, such as Giguhl and Adam.  There are also some new characters that leave a lasting impression, including a potential love interest.  I have to say the demon remains my favorite character. 

The Mage In Black was packed with action.  The first few chapters pick up right where book one left off and continues with a steady pace.  Sabina finds herself on the opposite coast.  Life in New York City proves to be challenging as do the people.  Conspiracy flows like blood as Sabina tries to find out who (or what) is after her.  The ending left a bit of a cliffhanger, plenty of unresolved issues for book three, Green-Eyed Demon. 

*I recently discovered that the prequel to Red-Headed Stepchild, titled Vampsploitation, can be found in The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance book 2. 

For more information about Jaye and her books, visit her at her website, or follow her on twitter

This book was released April 1, 2010, you can order your copy from booksellers such as Barnes and Noble or Powells.

5 comments:

Flo said...

thanks for your nice review! i didn't know about this serie but now i'm really curious about it, i might add it to my wishlist

Beverly said...

Looks great - my friend Kathy just picked this book up at the Patricia Briggs signing we went to this weekend. So we both have her books as our upcoming reads too! Check out my teaser at The Wormhole

Becky said...

Ooh I think this sounds like a cool series. Great review.

Chas @ LLL in the 808 said...

All my bookie friends have been raving about this book!!=) I definitely want to read these books!

BTW, great review. I enjoy character that are strong but also with other elements to then as well and sounds like Sabina is just that!

Alexia561 said...

Good review! I loved the first book, so glad to hear that this one is even better. Looking forward to reading it!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.