Thursday, April 8, 2010

Review: Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells


In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina doesn’t really fit in. And being an assassin – the only profession fit for an outcast – doesn’t help matters. But she’s never brought her work home. Until now.
Her latest mission is uncomfortably complex, and threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races. As Sabina scrambles to figure out which side she’s on, she uncovers a tangled political web, some nasty facts about her family and some unexpected new talents. Any of these things could be worryingly life-changing, but together, they could be fatal …

This time, it’s personal.

Click here to read chapter one of Red-Headed Stepchild.

My thoughts...Welcome to the world of Jaye Wells where the humor witty humor flows freely, the sexual tension is strung tighter than a violin and the action keeps you up at night.  Jaye introduces us to Sabina Kane, a kick-butt heroine who's half-vampire/half-mage blood makes her the perfect weapon.  She is a trained assassin who is sent to do her bloodthirsty Grandmothers dirty work.  Sabina's character is fun to read.  She showed significant growth by the end of the story which made her more memorable.  Her potential love interest, Adam, is everything readers will want out of a hero.  Sexy, hexy, and tough but very secretive.  I do have my reservations about him, I think I may change my opinion as the series progresses.  Another memorable character is Giguhl, the demon.  I think we may see more of him in future installments.

Red-Headed Stepchild kept a steady pace until about three-quarters of the way through when everything turned up a notch.  This was also about the time when some secrets were revealed and the potential romance heated up.  While readers learn a lot about Sabina's vampire side, little is revealed about her mage half.  Book two in the series, The Mage In Black (April 2010) should explore her abilities more.  I look forward to seeing where her adventures take her. 

This book will appeal to UF fans.  There are enough paranormal elements to keep it interesting, it is fast-paced and it offers the right amount of romance.  That being said it has not hit the list as one of my favorites, YET.  I am going to keep reading to see if Sabina Kane can set herself apart from the others of her kind.

For more information about Jaye and her books, visit her at her website.  Follow this link to order your copy from Barnes and Noble.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Ooh..I want to read this. I keep forgetting about it. Nice review!

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I picked up a copy yesterday! I'm hoping to read it next week :)

Great review!

Kay (Dead Book Darling) said...

I loved this book and just finished the sequel (literally about an hour ago!) - and it was brilliant. Sabine is just damaged and violent enough to make me adore her...

Oh, calling Adam sexy and hexy? Pure genius. Ludicrously fitting!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.