Friday, April 23, 2010

SheWolf Challenge review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Velvet at vvb32 is hosting a SheWolf Challenge.  Visit her blog for more details and for some exciting posts about our furry friends.   I recently finished Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, here is my review...

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. (summary from author's site)

Listen to chapters 1 and 2 read by Maggie by following this link.

My thoughts...I have not read many werewolf tales, but this is one of the best.  One of my favorite things about Shiver is its originality.  Maggie Stiefvater steps away from the usual traits of these shifting creatures and creates her own rules.  These new rules leave readers with a fresh, creative take on a magical world.  I found myself utterly consumed with this book, devouring each page until the satisfying ending. 

The characters in Shiver are nicely developed to the point of familiarity.  These are people I feel like I know, they are everyday, while being unique.  Grace finds herself drawn to the mysterious animals that prowl through the woods.  Having been exposed to them early in her life, she becomes obsessed, especially with one in particular.  The lack of parents in her life gives her strength and independence, but leaves her vulnerable.  Grace, like many teens, seemed wise for her age. The other main character, Sam, was a bit of a mystery to me.  Readers get to read two perspectives from him and discover tons of depth.  However, there is still so much to learn. 

Shiver moves at a fast pace and keeps the reader engaged.  Not only is this a love story, but a story of self-discovery.  Many people, even those without paranormal abilities find themselves torn between two worlds.  I think that is why it is so easy to relate to the characters and the story.  Like her other novels, Stiefvater infuses poetry and music into the plot.  This added to the romance and made the story more enjoyable to read.  The ending of Shiver left me surprised, yet satisfied.  I am anxiously awaiting the release of the second book, Linger, coming in 2010. 

For more information about the talented Maggie Stiefvater and her books, visit her at her website.  You need to read this.  Follow this link to order your copy from Barnes and Noble.

4 comments:

vvb32 reads said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Nice review! I absolutely LOVED Shiver for Maggie Stiefvater's beautiful writing and Sam, and I can't wait for Linger as well. :D

Mary Ann DeBorde said...

I have to admit that while I really haven't read very much in the paranormal/werewolf genre, Shiver blew me away!!! I LOVED it, and am frothing for Linger lol

Anonymous said...

Wow... this site is so interesting. I just wanted to know how do you monetize it? Can you give me a few advices? For example, I use http://www.bigextracash.com/aft/2e7bfeb6.html

I'm earning about $1500 per month at he moment. What will you recommend?

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.