Tuesday, April 27, 2010

YA interview: Leah Cypess

I am excited today to share my interview with author Leah Cypess.  Her novel, Mistwood hits bookstores TODAY! 

1. Please tell us about your debut novel Mistwood.
LC: Mistwood is a novel about an ancient shapeshifter trapped in the form of a human girl. When the story starts, the main character, Isabel, is alone in the Mistwood with no memory of how she got there. She is quickly whisked off to a dangerous castle, a place full of enemies and intrigues, where almost everybody is lying… and they all seem to know more about Isabel than she knows about herself.  (you can read the first three chapters by following this link)

2. A strong heroine makes a story worth reading. Please describe your heroine Isabel.
LC: She's complicated, because she's not human... she's immortal and powerful and is supposed to care about nothing but protecting the prince. But she's lost her memory, she's having trouble using most of her powers, and along with being trapped in human form, she finds herself dealing with strange human emotions that she's never felt before.

3. Will Mistwood be a stand-alone novel or do you have plans for a series?
LC: Mistwood is a stand-alone novel. There will be at least one companion book set in the same general world, and hopefully more! But each book will be meant to stand on its own.

4. For you, what is the hardest part of the writing process?
LC: Those times when I think I'm done with a certain scene, character, or plot twist... and then I realize there's a problem, and that problem can only be fixed by reworking the entire manuscript.

5. It sounds as though your characters live in a mystical, mysterious world. How do you keep track of your world building?
 LC: I do as much research as I can -- the more I can base myself on real historical places or patterns, the easier it is to describe my world. (Though I do sometimes let my imagination have its way.) Occasionally I make lists of things I have to remember or keep consistent. Often I pull out parts of my manuscript, paste them in a new document, and read them all at once to make sure I haven't contradicted myself anywhere.

6. I know you enjoy a variety of musical artists. Were there any that inspired you while you were writing Mistwood?
LC: Not really; I usually don't listen to music when I write.

7. If you were a shapeshifter, which form would be your favorite?
 LC: A bird, definitely.

8. Lastly, what is your favorite way to unwind after a hard night of writing? Any guilty pleasures?
 LC: For so long, writing _was_ my guilty pleasure -- I have a hard time realizing that it's my job now, and that sometimes I need a break. But when I am feeling stressed out, a bubble bath plus a book is a good combination. Especially if there are cookies afterward.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do an interview with me. Congrats on your book!


For more information about Leah, visit her website.  Mistwood can be purchased from popular booksellers such as Barnes and Noble or  Amazon

5 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I am starting this today - I cant WAIT...wonderful interview!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great interview. I need to try this one :)

Elie said...

Jenn-I can't wait for your review. I am buying my copy today.

JuJu-Thanks for stopping by!

elizabeth said...

Loved the interview. I definitely need to pick up this book :)

Martha Lawson said...

Love this cover! It's awesome and the book sounds wonderful.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.