Thursday, April 22, 2010

YA review: Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey


The action and romance continue as the Drakes face a new vampire with a 200-year-old grudge. It’s been centuries since Isabeau St. Croix barely survived the French Revolution. Now she’s made her way back to the living and she must face the ultimate test by confronting the evil British lord who left her for dead the day she turned into a vampire. That’s if she can control her affection for Logan Drake, a vampire whose bite is as sweet as the revenge she seeks.
The clans are gathering for Helena’s royal coronation as the next vampire queen, and new alliances are beginning to form now that the old rifts of Lady Natasha’s reign have started to heal. But with a new common enemy, Leander Montmarte—a vicious leader who hopes to force Solange to marry him and usurp the power of the throne for himself—the clans must stand together to preserve the peace he threatens to destroy.

This second adventure in the Drake Chronicles—told from both Logan’s and Isabeau’s perspectives—has all the same butt-kicking action, heart-pounding romances and snarky humor that readers loved in Hearts at Stake, as well as exciting new revelations about the vampire dynasties to keep readers coming back for more.  (summary from Amazon.com)

My thoughts...I LOVE this series.  Initially, I was concerned when I heard that Solange, Lucy, and Nicholas were not the main characters.  This second book in the series demonstrates Harvey's writing ability by taking us further into her magical world.  My favorites from book one still made an appearance, but I quickly fell for the new characters, Logan and Isabeau.  Readers are introduced to Logan in Hearts At Stake, but in Blood Feud, we discover that his charm and chivalrous tendencies stretch beyond his clothes.  This velvet wearing vampire is sure to steal your heart.  Isabeau is my favorite character to date.  She comes from a hard life, but she is honorable, tough, and determined while hiding her vulnerable side.  The chemistry between the two is white hot, I found myself rooting for a happy ending. 

Alyxandra Harvey has created an incredible world that is packed with magic and mystery.  Her vampires have different breeds, some of which are at odds with each other.  In Blood Feud, these different groups find it necessary, but difficult to work together.  Readers will learn about the hounds origins, their ceremonial behaviors and magical practices.  The writing is very vivid.  I could imagine everythng that was happening with perdect clarity.  There was plenty of action, adventure and romance to satisfy readers of any age. 

If you have not read Hearts At Stake yet, I highly recommend it to fans of Vampire literature.  Blood Feud will be available in June 2010. 

For more information, visit the website of Alyxandra Harvey.  Follow this link to preorder your copy from Amazon.com.  My review of book one-Hearts At Stake- can be found here.

5 comments:

Christina T said...

Great review! This sounds like it will be just as good as Hearts At Stake and maybe explain the backstory better. I liked Logan's character in book one. I can't wait to read Blood Feud.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Ooooo I can't wait to read these. I have them both at home but am desperately trying to hold out till closer to June.

Awesome review :)

Kristen said...

So.. I JUST finished this book this morning and loveddd it. I mean how awesome are these books? I just love the nonstop action and adventure and awesomeness. :)

Emily said...

Great review! I enjoyed Hearts at Stake and am excited to hear that the stuff I enjoyed about that book seems to present in abundance in this one as well.

Rosalie Hale-Drake said...

Where the bloody hell are Nicholas, Lucy and Solonge in all this Goddamn mess?
I want them back - I mean I like Logan, but I wanna know how Lucy and Nicholas are coping in their relationship! Not all about how Sappy logan and isabeau are!
I miss learning about Lucky and Nicky!
Boo-Hoo!
Great review, though! xx
Rosalie Drake - i am secretly married to Nicholas xx

Shhhhh . . . don't tell Lucy!! x

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.