Monday, April 19, 2010

YA review: Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

In an explosion of his own making, Lucius blew his arms off. Now he has hooks. He chose hooks because they were cheaper. He chose hooks because he wouldn’t outgrow them so quickly. He chose hooks so that everyone would know he was different, so he would scare even himself.

Then he meets Aurora. The hooks don’t scare her. They don’t keep her away. In fact, they don’t make any difference at all to her.

But to Lucius, they mean everything. They remind him of the beast he is inside. Perhaps Aurora is his Beauty, destined to set his soul free from its suffering.

Or maybe she’s just a girl who needs love just like he does. (summary from author's website)

My thoughts...This was an interesting book that covered some unique subjects matter.  I have never read a story with a character that had this type of limitation before.  The author did a great job of creating Lucius's emotions and reactions dealing with his hooks.  I went through a variety of emotions with this character.  At times I felt sorry for him, felt empowered by him, and at times afraid of him.  There was a lot of mystery in the story about his dark side.  What were his intentions during the accident that caused his disability?  The other main character, Aurora, seemed like an honorable person, she was not one of a crowd of followers.  She is someone I would want to have as a friend. 

While I liked the characters in the story, I could not feel their attraction.  It seemed to build up, only to deflate a few chapters later.  I was hoping for more of a romance-a true love story.  While the characters were definitely interested in each other, I felt it came too late.  Overall it was a good story, I am glad I read it and I will be watching for more from this author. 

For more information about Lauren Baratz-Logsted and her books, visit her website.  Follow this link to purchase your copy from Amazon.

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

I've never heard of this book, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review. Not sure if I want to read it though...

cynthial11 said...

I'll have to add it to my tbr list, sounds very interesting. Great Review!

Simcha said...

I've heard mixed opinions of this book and I've been undecided about giving it a chance. Thanks for the review!

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

I still haven't read this one yet, but I have heard the romance part was a bit flat. Thanks for your review! :)

ck.twilighter said...

From your review I have a better understanding of the book. Great review!

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.