Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Talker

Tuesday Talker is a small collection of books, book related topics, and other things everyone will be talking about.  Here is this weeks Tuesday Talker...

Borders is holding a great summer reading challenge for kids 12 and under. Young readers can "read 10 get one FREE".  Here are more details...

*read 10 books-any ones you like!
*Download and print the Double-Dog Dare form.
*List the books you've read on the form
*Bring the completed form into any store for your FREE BOOK!

Isn't this a wonderful idea?  (now if they would do it for those of us over 12-LOL)

=====================================================================================
CONTROVERSIAL BOOK...

FORBIDDEN by Tabitha Suzuma
June 3, 2010
Random House Books

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal'. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have had to become much more than simply brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love. But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences . .

‘How can something so wrong feel so right?’

Follow this link to read an excerpt from Forbidden.

**This book is not suitable for younger YA audiences.  It deals with sensitive issues such as incest, social services, child neglect, social phobia, illicit love, and mental illness.

The author, Tabitha Suzuma:

“Growing up, I hated school and would regularly play truant and hide out in my local library and read all day.

My love for writing stemmed from my love of books and my strong desire to escape from the world around me. My childhood was difficult: I was very unhappy at school and my father was violent. I started writing for pleasure as soon as I was able to write.

I draw heavily on my own experiences of mental illness in my writing. I love to write gritty, hard-hitting teenage fiction about the many difficulties faced by young people today. 'Forbidden' is without doubt the most challenging book I have written so far.”

For more information about this book and for purchase information, visit the official Forbidden webpage.  

*Images from The Forbidden Website.  Quotes from Random House press release. 

8 comments:

Bella said...

Oh My Goodness :o This sounds pretty disturbing ... too wrong! I'll probably be skipping Forbidden. The Mortal Instruments was bad enough, when I thought Clary and Jace were brother and sister ... but, at least they didn't think they were related until long after they'd fallen for each other ... Forbidden, NO, it's just wrong.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Eeek!
So not for me.
BUT I must say, I love that you are always finding and featuring new writers.
I love that about your page :)

Elie said...

The book summary from Forbidden reminds me of VC Andrews book FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC. It seems to have some of the same themes.

Elie said...

Thanks JuJu!

Sara McClung ♥ said...

Ok, the double-dog dare thing is AWESOME!! I hope you don't mind if I do a post on it myself (crediting that I heard it first from you, of course!)

Forbidden sounds like it'd be a hard book to read, very depressing =( And the summary totally reminds me of FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC too!!

Elie said...

Definitely post this. I think it is an awesome idea! Great way to keep kids reading over the summer!

Aubrey said...

Love the borders thing!

Disturbed by FORBIDDEN... I remember reading FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC and being disturbed that they were brother and sister and didn't know it...this one sounds worse, they KNOW it.

Hmmmm.

Tori [Book Faery] said...

And.... I'll be passing on that book. I agree with a previous comment. I almost abandoned the Mortal Instrument series when I found out Clary and Jace were "brother and sister". Not for me.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.