Tuesday, May 4, 2010

YA review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love - the light and the dark, the warm and the cold - in a way you will never forget. (summary from Barnes and Noble)

My thoughts...(WARNING-CONTAINS SHIVER SPOILERS)

If you have not read Shiver yet, STOP, and go order it now.  This review contains SHIVER spoilers, but not LINGER spoilers.

Once again Maggie Stiefvater dazzles readers with her eloquent voice, drawing us into her magical world of wolves.  Linger picks up where Shiver left off.  Sam is learning to deal with his new skin, wondering if the cure worked.  Grace secretly wonders if she is still changing, if the wolf grows inside of her (this is revealed in the first few pages).  I found it easy to get back into the story, the characters Sam and Grace felt familiar to me and the beginning of the story felt smooth. 

This book was actually told from four different POV's.  At times, I occasionally found myself skimming certain parts.  Cole, who was one of the new wolves from Shiver, and Isabelle, take center stage in this installment.  I liked both of the characters and they both showed incredible character growth (especially Cole), but I wanted more Grace and Sam.  All of the characters were brilliantly written, regardless of who was speaking.  Their emotional pain, distress, and vulnerability dripped off the pages.  One of the reasons I like this series so much is the fact that it is an impossible love story.  As long as one of the star-crossed lovers is a wolf, there can be no happy ending.  Stiefvater keeps us guessing.  It is impossible to predict if the storybook happily-ever-after will come. 

While I did not enjoy this book as much as the first, I still loved it.  I would recommend it to fans of the series.  New readers should read Shiver first to get the full effect.   I will be anxiously awaiting the next book in this series since the ending left me craving more.   

For more information about this series, visit Maggie Stiefvater at her website.  This title will be released July, 2010.  Follow this link to preorder your copy from Barnes and Noble.

11 comments:

Morgan said...

I can't wait to read this book, it sounds so good and I loved Shiver. Great review, your making me want to read it even more.

Adriana said...

Wow, four POV's! That's interesting.
I also didn't know there was going to be a third. Well, I can't wait to finally read Linger when it comes out.

Elie said...

OK, I need to check that out. I am assuming there will be a third, there really needs to be-losts of loose ends.

Elie said...

Yes, it's actually titled FOREVER and will be released in July of 2011. WOW that's a long time.

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I absolutely LOVED Shiver and I'm looking forward to Linger, however, I'm not happy to hear that it is four POVs. I would be happy with it just being Sam and Grace :)

Thanks for the great review! I still want to read the book, but maybe I won't set my expectations too high.

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I think that's the thing with most 2nd books - not as good as the first - but good...great review, I cant wait to pick this one up, to find out what happeneds next and UGH your right July of 2011 is a LONG time away!

brizmus said...

A third as well, yay! I didn't read your review to avoid the spoilers, but I so can't wait to read this!

Felicia S. said...

I didn't read the review but I did buy the book! Thanks for the warning before reading :)

Mama Bookworm said...

I’m bummed to hear this doesn’t focus on just Sam and Grace like Shiver. I’ll still check it out though because I love Maggie’s writing style and Shiver was awesome.

Dawn said...

Shiver has been in my TBR pile for far too long. I'm skipping this review so I can first read it - and appreciate the reminder that I NEED to pull it to the front of the list.

Jenny N. said...

I'm really curious to see how this one will read with its 4 POV's instead of 2 like Shiver.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.