Tuesday, June 15, 2010

YA review: A Blue So Dark

Terrified that her mother, a schizophrenic and an artist, is a mirror that reflects her own future, sixteen-year-old Aura struggles with her overwhelming desires to both chase artistic pursuits and keep madness at bay.

As her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet keeps drawing Aura toward the depths of her own imagination—the shadows of make-believe that she finds frighteningly similar to her mother’s hallucinations.

Convinced that creative equals crazy, Aura shuns her art, and her life unravels in the process. (summary from goodreads)
My thoughts...This was a tragically beautiful story that will haunt you days after you turn the last page.

A Blue So Dark breaches some difficult subject matter, schizophrenia.  As you can imagine, the book is emotional, powerful, and deep.  Holly Schindler does a brilliant job of writing the emotions of this young girl who is caring for her sick mother.  Aura's protectiveness of her mother and their situation proves her worth as an incredibly strong, well-written heroine.  I could feel her struggles and frustrations throughout the story.   Her fear that she too will become sick like her mother causes her to make some wreckless decisions.  Her actions may not have been the right choices, but given the situation, I can't help but think I would do the same thing. 

I have personal experience with someone with schizophrenia, so I was immediately drawn to this story.  However it is more that just a story of a family struggling with sickness, the story goes deeper that that.  A Blue So Dark is a journey in relationships with others and ones self, it is a story of love and loss, and of self discovery.  I would recommend this book to readers of all ages.  It is a profound story that will leave you thinking. 

For more information about Holly Schindler, visit her website.  Follow this link to order your copy from Amazon.
CymLowell

5 comments:

Marie said...

Great review! This is in my TBR pile. I can't wait to read it!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Great review.
I adore this cover.
Water covers get me every single time.

Jessilyn said...

my husband has schizophrenia and it is emotional all the time I would love to read this book every day is a struggle even though it may be good struggle and I have to ask myself to be strong ;) great review I can't wait to read this.

Maria the Bookworm said...

Awesome review! I just recently bought this book, love the cover :)

Zee said...

I am always on the look out for books that deal with mental illness in a sensitive manner and this sounds like a beautiful read. On to Mount TBR it goes.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.