Thursday, June 3, 2010

YA review: Change of Heart


In a world where the most stressful thing seems to be winning a soccer game or what to wear in the morning, you take some really basic things for granted.
Like the love of your parents.

Or hanging with your friends.

Or the beating of your heart.

When you’re 16 years old, it never occurs to you that you might die. Emmi Miller’s got a fabulous life. She has tons of friends, does great in school and is an all-star soccer player who played in Europe last summer. It even looks like Sam Hunter, a totally cute baseball player, might be interested in her. And then she gets a virus. No biggy, right? Until the virus goes to her heart and weakens it so much that, without a transplant, Emmi will die.

Will Emmi get a heart in time? Is Sam too good to be true? What about her new friend Abe, who has also had a transplant and guides her through these scary times — is he just being supportive or is there more going on between them? And will Emmi realize it before it’s too late? (summary from author's website)

My thoughts...Change Of Heart is an incredibly heart wrenching story that will entice readers of all ages. 

I think many of us are afraid of something: spiders, heights, deep water, the usual stuff.  I think all of us, deep down are afraid of illness.  Our body suddenly shutting down, failing us, leaving us helpless and weak.  I am.  The main character, Emmi, is a seemingly healthy teenager.  She is smart, pretty, athletic, then the unthinkable happens and her heart gives out.  Just thinking about the scenario weaves tendrils of fear through my mind.  What would you do?

Shari Maurer does a brilliant job of taking the reader through this emotional journey with Emmi, her friends, and family.  I found my self laughing one minute and on the brink of tears the next.  The story felt well researched and I could imagine the pain and frustration the characters dealt with daily.  I also thought the story sent a message to readers about life.  My interpretation left me with a reminder of how precious each day of our lives is and not to take anything, especially your health for granted. 

For more information about this book, visit Shari Maurer at her website.  To order your copy, follow this link to purchase from Amazon.

3 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Wow. Beautiful review. Excellent point. Sounds powerful :)

GABY said...

I haven't heard of this book before, but sounds great. I'm more afraid of an illness than anything else, because we can't control it.

Thanks for the review!

Betty: Reflections with Coffee said...

Wonderful wonderful review. Makes me want to go revise my own review.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.