Tuesday, June 22, 2010

YA review: The Dust Of 100 Dogs

In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with "the dust of one hundred dogs," dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body-with her memories intact.

Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.
(summary from book cover)

My thoughts...I LOVED THIS BOOK.  It has been days since I finished it and it is still dancing around my brain.  First, it is original.  I am a huge fan of all the things that go bump in the night, but Pirates, not done very often.  Second, the writing style of A.S. King lent itself to this type of adventure story.  There is quite a bit of jumping around in time which sounds confusing, but it's not.  The transitions flow very smoothly, leaving the reader with a mindful of thoughts and ideas about the plot.  Third, this book is not afraid.  It is violent, scary, intense, and sad.  It left me biting my nails, wanting to jump into the pages with the main character.  I loved every second of it.  

 This is one of those books I wish I could forget just so I could read it again.  The main character Emer, has lived the lives of 100 dogs before finding herself in a human body.  As you can imagine, her outlook on life, people, and history is well developed.  She is a strong heroine with a longing that stretches years behind her.  This story takes an incredible journey through the eyes of the character.

I don't want to give anything away, so I will just say "read it".  You won't be sorry.

The Dust Of 100 Dogs offers something for everyone (I think the boys will enjoy this too).  Just a warning, it is bloody, very violent, and there is some foul language.  These are pirates were talking about after all.  

Cover LOVE?  This is one of my favorite covers, ever.  I don't know if it's the colors or the simplicity of it, I just love it. 

For more information, visit the website of A.S. King.   If you have not read this book yet, follow this link to order a copy from Barnes and Noble.
CymLowell

9 comments:

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Very interesting premise, and, wow, what a glowing review! Thanks for the awesome review, and it seems like I'll definitely have to check this one out. :D

Charlie Courtland said...

Outstanding! I agree, very interesting premise. I wish I would have thought of it!

Cheers,

Charlie
http://bitsybling.wordpress.com

Thuy said...

I really enjoyed this book as well. Love the cover...it was one of the main reason I picked it up.

Little Miss Becky :) said...

Yay, great review! I loved this one, too. I'm excited to read the authors new book when it comes out, too!

jewelknits said...

A book you wish you could forget just so you could read it all over again!?!? I'm all over this one! Thanks for a wonderful review!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

elizabeth said...

I love this book, too! It is so amazing.

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I love the cover, but had I not read your review I probably wouldn't have picked it up.

Now, however, I have to read this! I already had purchased 7 books this week (and it's only Tuesday!) and yet I'm heading over to Amazon to see if they have a Kindle version right now :)

Elie said...

I love this so much I a going to give away 3 copies in September.

Nightly Cafe said...

Wow great review. The cover itself is intriguing enough but your review has made me put this title on my TBR list. You are right when you say Pirates are not done very often so definitely on my TBR. Thanks for sharing :).

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.