Monday, June 21, 2010

YA review: Nightshade

While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies’ throats. And she wouldn’t have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth-birthday she’ll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves. But Calla’s predestined path veers off course the moment she saves the life of a wayward hiker, a boy her own age. This human boy’s secret will turn the young pack's world upside down and forever alter the outcome of the centuries-old Witches' War that surrounds them all.

My thoughts...WOW, this was a great book.  I am going to start with the writing, because I thought it was brilliant.  As you read in the summary, Calla, future alpha pack leader, saves a hiker in the woods.  This is where the conflict begins, she shouldn't have interfered.  Calla is already promised to someone else.  I was so torn between the characters.  I still, even after completing the first book, am not sure how I want the story to end, or even if I do want it to end.  It is that good.  Calla's character is written as you would expect an alpha to be strong, fierce, and full energy.  While most the characters in Nightshade are supernatural, they felt very believable, like a normal bunch of high school kids with some unique talents. 

The plot of Nightshade moved at a rapid pace. Despite the size of the book, it was a quick read.  The plot was infused with supernatural creatures, plenty of magic, and that dynamic you often see in werewolf stories.  The sense of comradery between the characters make twists interesting and left you with feelings of attachment to the characters.  The story was great.  I can't wait for the next book!

I would definitely recommend this to fans of YA paranormal.  If you liked Shiver or the Shifters series by Rachel Vincent, you will enjoy this. 

For more information about Nightshade (including purchase information), visit Andrea Cremer at her website.   The trailer can be viewed by following this like to the Nightshade website.

5 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

OHHH WONDERFUL review...I totally agree, this is one of those WOW books! :)

iluvhersheys_andbooks said...

Great review!!! I am so excited for this book since I loved both Shiver and the Shifters series!!!

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Wow, this one sounds intense! Thanks for the great, glowing review. I definitely can't wait for this one to come out. :D

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I'm on a book tour for this and now I cannot wait to get it!! Great review!!

Rhianna said...

Wanted you to know I linked to your review of Nightshade on my blog here: http://rhireading.blogspot.com/2010/08/review-nightshade-by-andrea-cremer.html

:)

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.