Wednesday, July 7, 2010

YA review: Donut Days

DONUT DAYS’ main character, Emma Goiner, has a lot going on. Her best friend’s not speaking to her, a boy she’s known all her life is suddenly smokin’ hot, she’s at a camp-out for the opening of a donut shop, and oh yes—her evangelical pastor parents may lose their church. And that’s just this weekend. Suddenly, sixteen-year-old Emma has to make some serious choices: creationism or evolution, faith or freedom, Harley bikers or Frodo wannabes, and of course, cruller or glazed. (summary from author's website)

My thoughts...Hmmm, let me start by saying I liked this book.  That being said there are a few things that I don't usually discuss with people, those are religion and politics.  You have your beliefs, I have mine.  Donut Days takes place in a VERY religious community.  There is quite a bit of preaching to the main character Emma about her actions in relation to the Bible.  She seems to be constantly disappointing practically everyone because she doesn't walk the straight path everyone expects her to.  There was almost too much preaching for me to enjoy the book.  I was turned off at times and frustrated with the characters.  There were several times I almost quit reading, but I continued, and I am glad I did. 

While Donut Days, in my opinion has some flaws, it does have some strong qualities.  There is a wonderful story here about friendship, self belief, and self discovery.  I enjoyed Emma's voice, she felt very believable.  Her character was very strong and determined and she was not afraid to stand up for herself.  Donut Days also offers readers a bit of a mystery to solve.  Lastly, the book made me think, question my beliefs a bit, and smile at the end. 

Donut Days is recommended for young adults.  It is a very clean read.  Great for a day at the beach!

Donut Days will be available in paperback in September 2010.  Follow this link to order from Amazon.  For more information about Lara Zielin, visit her website

If you enjoyed Donut Days, you may also like...
1. Make Things Happen by Lara Zielin
2. The Sweetheart of Prosper County by Jill S. Alexander
3. North Of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

3 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

I really liked Donut Days :) I loved the bikers!

Book Monster said...

Donut Days looks so cute XD

Bookworm1858 said...

I thought Emma was a great character too-I appreciated her determinedness in the face of her troubles.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.