Tuesday, July 13, 2010

YA review: Greek

Two dates—same night!

Major oops. When Casey Cartwright's brother begs her to be nerdy Dale Kettlewell's date to the sure-to-be-boring Honors Engineering Awards, Casey says yes. Even though Dale is totally not her type… and might have a crush on her. Ugh. But it's a nice thing to do, and Casey's always been the "nice" girl.

But now, that night conflicts with the biggest event of the semester, the All-Greek formal. Casey already has a date lined up: hot transfer student Rob Howell. He's her plan to get over her sexy-slacker ex, Cappie. And even nice girls get to be bad sometimes, right?

What to do? With a little help from BFF Ashleigh, unwanted advice from frenemy Rebecca Logan and even a push from Cappie, what Casey does may surprise even herself…. (summary from Amazon)
My thoughts...OK, I have to admit I am a bit out of my comfort zone with this one.  You can usually find my nose in a book with a paranormal flair, but I believe in mixing it up.  When I heard this book was based on a popular ABC Family drama, it grabbed my attention.  Usually the book comes first so I was curious to see how this read.  My expectations...something like a romantic comedy.  What did I get...something like a romantic comedy. 

Given the title, I knew there was going to be a fair share of pretty girls and girl-crazy boys.  I also expected a fair share of underage drinking and sexual references.  They were all there.  What I didn't expect was a fun little love triangle that made the book somewhat entertaining.  The characters had more depth than I expected.  While there were plenty of obnoxious and shallow Greeks, they were not all your stereotypical fraternity and sorority girls. 

Greek Double Date is a cute read for older teens.  This book is not trying to send a deep message, or convey some life advice, it is meant to be fun.  However, I don't think it is for everyone.  I will be checking out the series on ABC family to see if the characters are portrayed the same as in the book.

For more information, visit the Harlequin Teen Facebook Page.  You can order a copy of Greek Double Date by visiting Amazon.

1 comments:

Cari said...

I'm excited about this one because I love the TV Show! Cappie is so cute.

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Joifa Design's Innocent Imagination kit.